Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hammock  (Read 3441 times)

helen

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
hammock
« on: December 04, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »

i bought a relaxer pouch from pets at home its like a hammock you hang round your neck and its for chinchillas and to help bond with them well when i get mine out and im holding him he will go straight in i dont even have to put him in there he loves it he will sleep for hours in it if he was aloud well i was wondering if its ok to use it as one site told me off for using it like i said i dont put him in it if im wearing it he will go in by himself and snuggle up and sleep and i dont like to leave him in for too long incase he over heats and it says its for chinchillas to feel safe and helps bond thank you  ::shrug::

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: hammock
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 12:13:26 PM »

I think that it's a matter of opinion and really depends on your chinchilla as to whether or not you want to use this.  I wouldn't use it with my chinchillas because I would worry that they might decide to suddenly dart out of it while I was destracted by something else, thus injuring themselves.  But if yours likes to be in it and you know the risks involved (potential injury and overheating, as you mentioned) then it is up to you as an informed owner to make the decision about what is right for your pet.

Sillychinchilly

• Owned by Pixel
  • Miss Pixel!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »

I can't say much about the hammock thing, I think its a cute idea, but at the same time, Pixel is a really hyper little thing and randomly decides to dart all over the place at times...
On an off note, what site just straight out told you off for using it, rather than explaining why? O.o
~*~ Annie ~*~
        ~*~

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 04:55:36 PM »

I have been carrying my chins around in knapsacks, fleece bags, and hoods of hoodies for years.
Some will sleep there all day if I let them while others just hate it right from birth.
It does help if they are used to it from birth.
I carry all my kits in a bag around my neck until they are old enough for a run an a table, large cages, and graduate to the floor.
As a result most my chins feel quite comfy amd are well used to it.
Some, as they became adults wanted no more of that, and a few rescues never become fond of it.
As has been said much depends on the chins, but no I have never had one get over heated from just being in there.
I would recommend it over letting kits loose on the floor.
Take them in a bag or bonding pouch, let them run all over you and the chetserfield.
They soon take it as their safe place and will run back in when they are startled.
That;s why I like the heavy knapsacks, they stay opened when layed down.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:57:12 PM by Debbie.nl.ca »
Debbie.nl.ca

lesliesuniquecharm

• View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 08:36:17 PM »

while on the topic of getting them out & about....is it ok to pack them up in like alittle pouch & let them ride around wit ya? i mean not every time the car door closes but every now & then when its to the bank or an erron where ya dont have to get out?

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 04:57:56 PM »

Helen as your chin is very young I would imagine being close to your chest and hearing your heart beat would be very relaxing and comforting for him as he no longer has his mother. With orphaned kittens and puppies they sometimes put them in a basket with a hot water bottle and a clock. The ticking mimics a heart beat and calms them down. I guess as long as your heating isn't on too high and he isn't likely to jump out it should be fine. :)

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 10:48:42 AM »

thank you all for your replys you have all been a big help to me  :) :) :)

BritneyFreak

• View Profile
    • Amazing Britney Forums
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 07:36:43 PM »

Aww this is such a cute idea! :D I will be trying this with my younger chin for sure :)

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 11:40:20 AM »

Where do you get those? I would definitely be interested in something like that. We have a few litters on the way, and I think that would be great for the kits (in short intervals of course!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com

shadowborne

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »

Any update on where to get these hammock's? I am quite interested myself with the little one I have, the new little one.

Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up