Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Internet Cheating...  (Read 20983 times)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Internet Cheating...
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:48:57 PM »

I got an email today from someone doing a paper on chinchillas asking me questions.  I got to thinking, is my answering their questions for them cheating?  ::think:: When I was in school we had to research our papers in books in the library not ask people we know for the answers.  It took hours.  Now there is the Internet and anything can be looked up in a few seconds and yet I get emails all the time with questions for school.  I'm beginning to think that maybe I shouldn't answer their questions and have them research it.  :-\  Especially since all of the answers can be found on my website.  :doh:

What do you all think?  ::)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: Internet Cheating...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 06:53:59 PM »

I know a lot of us love to help out.. but what you are saying is true. They need to do the research. The info is already at their fingertips.. they shouldn't have a hard time.

Maybe just tell them that all the answers are on the site and they can search very easily to find the answers they are looking for.  ::shrug::
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 09:01:18 PM »

Yes, I would point them to good reliable resources, rather than just spoon feeding answers.  That also allows them the possibility of learning things that you wouldn't have thought to tell them, or didn't know yourself.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2007, 12:42:16 AM »

I frequently answer emails by providing a link to my site, where I know the answer can be found.  I don't think there's anything wrong with helping to "guide the way" without actually answering the questions directly.   ::think::

mikasauntie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 09:40:13 AM »

I agree...suggesting a website is helpful.  Seems to me that unless their question is following up on something they don't understand about what they already read, the direction to a website is a good solution.  With my own kids, I suggest words to search on and sometimes offer an opinion about the quality of the site.  I don't think either of them has ever seen a card catalog in the library.  oops...I just dated myself!   :)
KB

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 10:17:37 AM »

I don't think either of them has ever seen a card catalog in the library.  oops...I just dated myself!   :)

I know what you mean.  My daughter just had a test on using the encyclopedia.  I had to laugh!  I wonder when they they will toss that out and start teaching how to use Google instead.  ;D

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

tudiebug

• Appreciation points: 0
  • Just Chin Chillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 12:08:03 PM »

i agree they should do the research it's not that hard to find everything you need to know by reading on the internet that is how most of us started out i'm sure and now we all know most everything about our chins and their background.
** ( \ _ / ) **
 * (= ' . ' =) *
 * (*) _ (*) * A ZOO IN THE ATTIC CHINCHILLAS

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 08:56:10 PM »

Theres a lot for different websites and on some you might get different answers. So why not ask a chin owner who can give you one answer. :)
But I see what your saying

left027

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 04:18:20 PM »

I know this thread is super old, but generally "interviews" are considered to be a reliable and valued source for reports.  It's a first person account.  The only other ways to get first person accounts are through diaries or journals.  Typically, first person accounts are considered to be significantly better than secondary sources.  It's not cheating.  While I understand the argument to direct them to websites you're actually providing a less reliable source.  Wikipedia, for instance, is rarely considered to be a source worthy of being cited.  Whereas, getting a personal account from someone on their experiences working with chinchillas and the knowledge they've obtained over the years is significantly better.  Even this forum would be a terrible source to cite.  Most teachers would probably throw it out.  All professional journals in academia would definitely through it out, but an interview could be valid depending on the content.  Personal websites would be marginally more acceptable than this forum, but the same arguments would apply to those sites that apply to wikipedia.

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 06:16:52 PM »

while it is true the can just hop on the internet, half the info out there is incorrect. so with you, they are learning the correct way to treat/care for/etc. a chinchilla.  in my mind, i don't see a difference between going to a book, internet or asking someone with vast knoweldge.  granted they dont' have to read read and read... and going to you makes it easier, but again, its still reseach [they had to search you out] and some day that information you are giving them, might just save a chins life.

herees an idea, not sure if its a good one ask for their address and send them your booklet on chincare, then they will have to read.
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)
Pages: [1]   Go Up