Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A moral dilema - I really need some advice.  (Read 6545 times)

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: A moral dilema - I really need some advice.
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 01:19:25 AM »

fully understandable about exposing the chin, I am really comfortable with my other breeder, and havent really had any problems, but understandable if you dont know the other breeder that well and dont know their chins.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 03:27:54 PM »

As a breeder, I wouldn't allow anyone, including other breeders I trust, to bring their chinchillas to interact with my chinchillas.  In addition to all of the illnesses that can potentially be transmitted, each herd of chinchillas has bacteria that is unique to their GI tract.  The quarantine period allows for the slow introduction of this bacteria over time also.  Another danger in having an Experimental Play night is the potential for serious injury.  As we all know, chinchillas can and do fight to the death.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 10:57:27 AM »

fully understandable about exposing the chin, I am really comfortable with my other breeder, and havent really had any problems, but understandable if you dont know the other breeder that well and dont know their chins.

::silly::  Not fussing at you, just trying to let you think a little more objectively about putting two chins together from different breeders/owners ....  I use to be the same way ... THEN ... SOMETHING happened to make me open my eyes ...

I had purchased many chinchillas from a breeder I trusted very well and had done business with for quite some time ... this breeder is very well know and has been in the chinchilla world for a very long time ... I will not mention the breeders name.

I paid $700 for an ebony, took it home, because it was a bit fussy, thinking it needed more personal time, I kept it separate from the rest of my herd ... something I had not done before with this particular breeders chinchillas, because this breeder had a fantastic reputation and I had never had a problem ... but it was a regular practice with others.  Within 48 hours, it seemed not to want to eat or drink very much.  I took it to my vet.  It was clearly loosing weight and showing signs of not being able to easily swallow and having a little difficulty breathing.  The chin was placed in an oxygen tent, where it had to stay for 3 days and nights.  My vet seemed to work with her tirelessly, searching the internet to find someone that might have experience with these symptoms in a chinchilla.  Nothing worked ... after 3 days, and $784 vet bill later, the chin died.

Now, it was not the $700 price I paid for the chin or the $784 vet bill ... it was my whole herd I had to be concerned about......

I had to know why, so an autopsy was preformed.  At the base of the esophagus, a wart was found.  It was a wart caused by an air-born virus and never heard of in chinchillas before ... in goats yes, but not in chinchillas.  The wart had grown to the size that the food the chin tried to eat would not be able to enter the stomach.  Now was the real dilemma ... my vet let me know it was caused from an air-born virus, would take 9 weeks to 9 months to become apparent ... it definitely did not come from our home or chins.  The rest of my chins, because this one was isolated from the others, should be safe, according to the vet.  But, because the chins were in the same building (our home) and that we have central air ... I would not feel safe for my chins until the 9 months had passed ... in the meantime, I, myself, quarantined my chinchillas and refused to allow any of them to become adopted until the quarantine time was over.  None showed any signs of being ill.  After a year of no adoptions, we had a full house, but a safe and healthy herd.   Come to find out ... the breeder I had purchased the original chin from had just purchased it, along with others from a breeder going out of business ... a breeder that my breeder had know and trusted.  No other chins fell ill and my breeder later replaced the dead chin with one they had raised.  A lesson I will never forget, it happened many years ago ... but, now I look at all the happy little faces we have and remember to Quarentine Every New Chinchilla!

Please keep in mind ... NO ONE is perfect, things happen ... quarantine ALL chinchillas that are new to you!

Hope you will take this to heart and think about it.

::wave::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChillinChinchillas

• Appreciation points: 3
  • Evie's Easter Pic!
    • View Profile
    • Chillin' Chinchillas
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2007, 03:29:46 PM »

Thank you very much Jo Ann. I have always kept new chins in a cage away from the other chins until they were comfortable. Keeping them across the room just isn't enough as in the case you described. I am so glad you have brought this to my attention!
~Kristin Carlin~
**Chillin' Chinchillas**
(Petie, Roxxy, Addietouille, Widgette, JellyBean, & Smokey, Jovey, Chae, Emma, Rocky, Chance, Daisey, Porter, Tucker, and Ollie)
http://www.chillinchinchillas.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up