Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: why is he doing this  (Read 2930 times)

helen

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
why is he doing this
« on: December 03, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »

i got my chinchilla a few weeks ago he is a baby he was fine when i first got him he would let me get him out of his cage but now he either runs from me and hides in his nest box of he make the defence noise to me he has even bitten me once but luckily it wasnt hard when i do finally get him out he likes to cuddled and he even sleeps on me and lets me do anything to him but when hes in his cage it starts all over again he wasnt like this for the first week why is he doing this :-[ ::shrug::

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: why is he doing this
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 11:25:41 AM »

how old is he? I have chins that HATE to get taken out of the cage but are fine once they are out. They almost act like they dont know if you're going to hurt them but then they are ok once you get them. They need to build trust with you and they shouldn't be that bad. If they are stressed they tend to act more aggressive sometimes.. of if they are sick. Maybe he isn't used to you yet and you need to bond with him and let him know he can trust you and then he won't be so aggressive. Take things slow and it will change. If he continues to act aggressive maybe you can take him to a vet to get checked b/c he may be sick and not showing it. My guess is its the stress/trust issue. Talk to him and just sit with him and sit your arm in his cage where he can explore you and climb and such. Get him comfortable with you and he wont be so stressed about it. I will say tho that they will not always want to be grabbed and taken out.. some chins are just like that.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 12:16:32 PM »

hi when i got him i was told he was 11 weeks he is now 13 weeks

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 03:02:40 PM »

One of the things that I do with my chinchillas and encourage people who buy chinchillas from me to do is to sit with my hands facing palms up by the cage door.  I let the chinchillas come to me and crawl onto my hands.  It takes time and they will generally get very nervous and jump right back in the cage after climbing onto my palms, but (with time and patience) they will start to jump onto my hands and will allow me to move my hands and arms so that I can transport them for play time.  I try to use this method instead of chasing them around the cage and grabbing them, since this frightens them and makes them associate me with something negative.

Yesterday, in fact, I had some people over to see the chinchillas.  I had one of the cage doors open to try to encourage some of the chins to come out and one of my boys who is normally VERY shy determined that he wasn't so shy anymore!  Anytime one of us put our hands up to the cage, he would jump right out onto them, ready to play!   ;D

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 04:06:11 PM »

Maybe he was too scared of you to run when you first got him, but now he's a little more settled he is running. This is what I would try: Sit by his cage with your arms in and a raisin on your arm. Let him come to you. Be very patient, let him go at his own pace and when he does something you like, reward him with treats (but not too many, you don't want to make him ill). Read through the posts on this forum because very new chinchilla owner has the same problems and everyone here is very knowledgeable and they have probably answered most of the questions you'll have. It may take you a month or two to get his trust, it might take longer, but trust me it'll be worth it in the end. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.  :::grins::

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:03:00 PM »

Sounds to me like he realy likes his cage and feels the safest in there now.
Give him time, he is realizing your a good thing too. ::nod:: or he wouldn;t let you play with him once you get him out.
Debbie.nl.ca

lesliesuniquecharm

• View Profile
    • Unique Charm
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:33:08 PM »

Roo did the exact same things after the 1st accident we had with him. but he just needed a few days of being held & not being to put to run free. just hold him to let him know he is ok and your not gong to hurt him, now he*s fine..I also put my hand out palm up because thats how i gained his trust the first time & dont want him to think im here to harm him. he was popcorning & surfing & running around a few minutes ago. i put his bath house in & he shot into his cage & hes sstill hangin out..

helen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »

he seems more settled now he doesnt make that noise much now and when he does i know it means i dont want to be bothered right now then i go to him later then hes fine so thank you all for your help :) :) :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up