News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cages  (Read 12394 times)

Chilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
cages
« on: June 10, 2006, 05:59:10 PM »

I have been wanting to get a new chin cage.  I was wondering if a bird-type cage with 1/2" bar spacing, but more than an inch the other way was OK.  In other words, the bars are vertically 1/2" apart, but there are few bars running horizontally.

::chinhappy::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: cages
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 06:36:41 PM »

::silly:: Hi Banjoboy,

Cages made with wire that is 1/2" x 1" is best for all chinchillas.

But ... I do have a pair in a bird cage.  It works pretty good ... as long as you replace the base/pan ... if the base/pan is made of plastic. 

Chinchillas will chew anything they can get their little teeth into and this can be dangerous for them because plastic does not dissolve, it stays hard and tears up the intestines of the chin.

All of the little sliding doors have to be wired down and the door will require a good lock.

If you are planning to put a breeding pair in it, I would not.  Often the wire is painted and chins will chew the paint and consume it.

::silly::
Jo Ann
[/i]
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Chilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 09:10:20 PM »

It doesn't have a plastic pan.  I thought it would be great since it is a giant cage.  I don't think the doors slide either.   I wasn't planning on putting a breeding pair in it.  I guess I don't really understand why more horizontal bars make a difference if the spacing is 1/2" anyway.  I mean, they can't get there heads jammed in that small of a spacing.  I would think it would make it easier for them to get a leg caught or something if there were more horizontal bars to trap their legs.  Am I wrong? ::wacko::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:28:37 AM »

::silly::   Hi,

I did not realize it was a giant cage ... by giant cage, do you mean one that is or almost is as tall as a human?

The only problem with the long, narrow bars is when a chin starts running round and round the cage (using the walls of the cage only), his weight and momentum will sometimes cause the bars to spring/expand a little, then quickly spring back, this is when his leg could get caught/hung-up between the bars and break his leg.  Rare, but it does happen.

::wave::
Jo Ann
[/i]

My Little Jamie

mevachiu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 12:38:12 PM »

I got another question that concerning the cages

Mine has a plastic base pan. Actually, I found that 98% of cages that sold in Hong Kong are of plastic base pan( some can be removed but some not) and with painting/ coating wire. They look lovely and cutie themselves. Some are with wire base. But the shop assistants always told you not to put them on the base in order to seperate the bedding. They said the chins love to walk on solid ground and love to stay on the wood shaving/ other kind of bedding materials(some are made of recycle paper, like the one for cats, but it said it is for small animal like rabbits, hamsters, chins and even snakes.)

acutually, one of my chin, mama, had to cut one arm off since her arm was trapped in between the wire grids. So, i would why all the cages i saw in the non-hong kong websites are with wire base. Besides, my chins do chew the sides of the plastic base and the wire coating , but no problems happened at all. So, would it be ok to use the plastic base and let the chins chew the plastic? But i think i can't  find a cage that is big enough and without plasitic base.

P.s. My cage also has a plastic fence surround it to avoid the poop and litter from flying out.

Chilla

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 07:57:58 PM »

Yes, Jo Ann, it's almost as tall as a person.  The cage itself is 55" and with the stand it its 58."  I like chins to have as much room as they can.  The price is really good too.

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2006, 06:42:16 AM »

Besides, my chins do chew the sides of the plastic base and the wire coating , but no problems happened at all. So, would it be ok to use the plastic base and let the chins chew the plastic?

No problems have happened.... "yet".  As a chinchilla chews the plastic he may injest some of it.  Chinchilla digestive systems can not break down the plastic so it just stays in the system.  Eventually as more and more plastic is ingested it will build up and cause a blockage.  Then the chinchilla will die.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 09:02:28 AM »

I really like the chinchilla safe cages from Susan @ AZ Chins
http://chinstore.azchins.com/List.htm and also www.martinscages.com
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

HarveyTheChin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:04:19 PM »

I've seen cages that people make using an old cabinet with doors on it.  I have been looking for a cabinet at thrift stores that I could empty out and add shelves into it...what kind of wire would I use on the doors...chicken wire?  And I know the best kind of wood for them in untreated pine, but does it matter if the cabinet is made of untreated pine or would it be ok if the shelves and everything in the cage was chinchilla safe?

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 06:21:00 AM »

I would suggest covering the insides with some sort of sheet metal.  Furniture is usually varnished and wood glue is often used.  You DO NOT want your chinchilla to chew on this.  The metal will protect the wood and keep your chinchilla safe.  You could also use Tile board.  Its white and has a slick side that can be easily wiped down and disinfected.   Don't use chicken wire.  You need 1/2 inch x 1/2 inch or 1 inch x 1/2 inch welded wire.  You can usually buy this by the foot at Lowe's or Home Depot.  When you get it finished I would LOVE to see a picture!!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

chinchillagrl06

• The Petting Zoo
  • Appreciation points: 3
  • Monkeybuny
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006, 09:17:05 AM »

Here are a couple of cage building links for you. :::grins::
http://www.spoiledchins.net/habitats.htm
http://chinchillacymru.co.uk/buildcage.htm
http://www.hapagirl.com/cage/instructions.html
That's all I could find for now, but if you do a search, you can probably find alot more. :)
Sarah (^..^)
& the Zoo Crew
Chinnies, Suggies, Kitties, and a Bunny.

Chilla

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 08:52:03 AM »

For a wire-bottomed cage (which I do shy away from) I have heard to use 1/2" X1/2" spacing.  Would 1/4"X1/4" still be OK, or do you think they would get their toes stuck or something? ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 09:39:29 AM »

::silly:: Hi All!  I'm putting my 2 cents worth on  several questions, so check 'em all out.    rofl

Banjoboy ... the wire used in bird cages is often not galvanized wire, but a lighter weight/strength wire and chins have been known to chew through them ... a chin can chew through a 1/4" in aluminum rod overnight.  :doh:

Mevachiu ... the plastic will eventually take it's toll and it will be to late for the chinchilla.  Wire that is 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/4" square is usually small enough to be safe for adult chinchillas, but I still put pine wood boards and bedding on top of the wire on the ones that have wire basis.  A chinchilla that stays on bare wire constantly can develop bumblefoot (sores and blisters on it's feet). :'(

Harvey ... using an old dresser, chest of drawers or cabnet can be asking for trouble if you are not VERY careful.  Paint may contain led.  If it is pressed wood instead of solid wood, the glue could be poison for a chin.  Chins will chew any exposed area and can even chew a hole big enough to get out in a very short time.  If it is made of cedar or many other hard woods, they can kill your chin.  (Cedar puts off fumes that can cause respiratory infections in chinchillas.)  Proper ventilation is necessary ... leaving 3 of the 4 sides solid can restrict the air flow.  Openings should be made to allow the air to flow through the cage naturally.  Chins love to spray ... urine can be absorbed by the wood and cause a bacterial build-up.  How could you sterilize the wood if one of the chins came down with Guardia?   ::puke::   Having the insides covered with a washable surface and having all exposed edges covered is almost a must!  These look beautiful at first, and can remain so, if properly built.   ::nod::

Chilla ... the adult chins usually do not have a problem with getting toes caught, but the kits will sometimes.  Any time you have a wire bottom cage, the bottom of the cage needs to be sterilize frequently (just as the solid trays should be) and pine wood boards need to be available for them to stand on to avoid bumble foot.  :-[

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

kathye512

• Luv those chin's!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »

::silly:: I got a cat cage for my pair.  It is one of those cages you see the adoption cats in at the pet stores.  It works great.  It has close to a 1" spacing between the vertical bars and about 4" horizontal spacing.  It has a thick plastic tray on casters that the cage slides into.  The chins can't get a old on it with their teeth.  It comes with 2 shelves and the leepin ledges fit easily all over.  It is 4ft tall x 4ft long x 2ft wide.  I made a 3rd shelf and hung a hammock at the top and will be adding a jolly ball once I get the chain to hang it.  Another great feature is the 2 doors on the front.  One is on top and the other below.  they are about 18" wide and tall and have a bar that slides in front of them to keep them closed.  When I open one it serves as a platform for my chin to sit on while I pet her.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 03:12:43 AM »

::silly:: Hi Kathye ...

Plastic in, or as a part of, a chinchilla cage is a  ::nono:: Chinchillas will chew/consume anything they can get their little teeth into.  Plastic will not digest, dissolve or soften in a chinchilla's system and can cut it and/or block it up.  Even if you do not see a problem now, most likely, you will see a problem in the future ... just give it time and loose a chin.  :'(

You said the cage is for your 'pair' of chins?  Is this by chance a male/female pair?  If so, with wire the size you are using, when they have kits, the kits will fall out/crawl out between the wires.  If they do not die from the fall, they could chill and get pneumonia, get stepped on and or starve.  :'(  Wire covering a chinchilla's cage should be 1/2" x 1" or smaller.  Don't feel to bad if you did not know this already, many new chin owners do not and have to find out the hard way.  :(

What is a jolly ball?  That's a new one on me.

I am posting a picture of a chinchilla cage that is a good size for 1 to 3 or 4 chins.  We use to make them, but do not anymore.  It became to expensive to get the pans custom made.

Jo Ann

My Little Jamie

Pages: [1]   Go Up