Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchillas from Animal Planet Pet Library  (Read 2950 times)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Chinchillas from Animal Planet Pet Library
« on: November 03, 2007, 06:33:44 PM »

In September of 2007, Animal Planet released yet another book in their Pet Care Library series. This publication focused on chinchillas. After the book hit shelves, it was brought to my attention that The CHINformation Organization Forum had been listed as a web resource. I was honored, but a bit apprehensive, knowing that most books contain incorrect and even dangerous information regarding chinchillas. Promotions of the site are great, but I did not want to be associated with a publication that had the potential of doing more harm than good.

I purchased Chinchillas and read it cover to cover. I was very pleasantly surprised! Although it could stand to have better pictures of chinchillas, as most of the chinchillas pictured are less than ideal, and it states that introducing adult females is easier than introducing adult males, which I tend to disagree with, it is over-all well written. I would recommend Chinchillas in addition to lots and lots of online research to prospective chinchilla owners.

Keep in mind that even books written specifically for veterinary professional often have incorrect information and pet owner books generally aren't any better. In many ways, the best information you will collect will be from experienced chinchilla owners and breeders. Finding a chinchilla mentor you can trust can prove invaluable.

(Note: chinclub.net is also listed!  ::silly:: )

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Re: Chinchillas from Animal Planet Pet Library
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »

WOW  ;) It's good you approve the book. Did they not need permission to add those as web resources?
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 08:07:53 PM »

If I'm not mistaken, you're permitted to use anything as a resource so long as you list the resource.  You can also link to any website without permission.  So, yes, I was VERY glad that I approved of the book.  I'm not sure I would have been able to do anything about it if I didn't...   ???

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 06:33:36 PM »

(Note: chinclub.net is also listed!  ::silly:: )

Thanks for letting me know.  I'll have to check it out.   :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 08:13:06 AM »

::silly::  There are two hard back books in which I am referred to, that I know of ... one with information (Jamie is in it also) and one that has a huge amount of pictures of my chins in it. 

The one that uses me as a reference, also had many other references, I do not agree with some of the things in the book and she does not refer who gave her what information ... but there is nothing I can do about that.  So, people that read it might think, I said it, but I did not.  I found out about it when someone bought it, then e-mailed me.   :)

The other one, with some pictures of my chinchillas, I did give permission to use my name as photographer of some of the pictures of chinchillas, but not as a source to reference for information ... she did go along with me on that.

If you put the information out there and make it public ... I think they can use it as long as they give credit to who it came from, unless it is posted otherwise, I think, but I am not posative about that.

The internet is like a free-for-all ... if it's there, someone will take it and use it ... regardless if it is right or wrong.  Not to much you can do about it.   ::shrug::   Other than make sure the information is correct and hope they reproduce it correctly.

Linking to your site is almost uncontrollable, but you do controll those who you link to.  There have been a couple that I have asked to remove the link and they have done so.  (They were also connected to 'dateing' service web sites.  I explained I was a kid friendly site and would preferr they take the link off.  They did.)

::wave::   Jo Ann
« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 08:16:24 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:32:39 AM »

Why in the world would a dating website want to link to a chinchilla site?   ???

And, yes, unless they quote you directly, they don't have to say what information they got from where.  Which is why I was glad that the book was fairly well written.  There is some things that I would have stressed more and some things that I would have given more information on, but I didn't write the book, so it was out of my control.   ::shrug::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »

::silly::  The lady that had the "dateing service", also owns a couple of chinchillas.  She made a web site for both and on the opening pages of both she has links to the other one.  Because I am listed as a "kid friendly" site, I can't have a parent e-mailing or calling me about how their child went to a dating site from my website.   ::)

:::grins::  I'm a grandmother that is as protective of children and chinchillas.   ::nod:: 

I always go to a site and go to their links to see where they go before I say it is OK to link to mine ... Of course  they really do not have to have permission, but, everyone has been nice about it so far.   :)

::howdythere::  Jo Ann

There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 03:55:09 PM »

I guess I don't understand why someone interested in using a dating service would really care about this lady's chinchillas...   ;D
At any rate, I haven't really had anyone request to link my sites, but I'm pretty sure there's a link or two out there.  So far, I'm too preoccupied blocking spammers on my foum to hunt down any unwanted links.
Pages: [1]   Go Up