Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mia is due soon!!!  (Read 8223 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Mia is due soon!!!
« on: July 06, 2006, 12:55:10 PM »

;) Hi Guys,

Soon I will be a grandma for the first time,  we are all very excited here!  It is now clearly looking like it'll be a multiple birth.  I have talked to many breeders, and read whatever I have been able to find on the topic of pregnancy & birthing as well as helping kits in trouble!

OK, my question is for those of you who have had chinnie babies.  Whether or not you have had to "help" mom and kits out or not, what are some items that are good to have around as just in case items?  Some of you have helped me already earlier in the pregnancy and recently so I have already picked up many things to have on hand.  Such as the canned powder kitten formula, teeny animal baby bottles from the pet store, a supply of freshly washed white towels & washcloths, q-tips, the little nasal bulb, plastic droppers, neosporin, etc.....
Please help me and those future first timers out there!!!  I'd love a list of items and suggestions from you all out there who are more experienced.
What do you suggest having on hand..............
Her whelping cage is all set up and reading to go!  I will put soft Carefresh bedding in it soon.  My husband built her a pine wood hut.  Is it OK to have it in the whelping cage? Or do we not do huts?  I also have a couple of those thick cardboard chubes for kits to hide in.  They are wider than a toilet paper tube so no getting stuck here Jo Ann! 

::silly:: Thanks everyone!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Mia is due soon!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:06:45 PM »

Hi Joyce,
I would suggest putting very little in the cage with mom and babies.  First time moms can be funny about taking care of babies.  I have found that not giving the babies anywhere to get lost and not giving mom anywhere to hide, the babies will get better care.  It will also give you a clearer view to be sure everyone is getting care and staying warm.  Its important to have a place for babies to hide if the male is left in the cage, but if its just mom you want the babies under her.
If you do decide to use the house be sure to place it in the center of the cage.  We once had a kit get behind a little house and get squished to death.  After that we no longer put anything in the breeding cages.

I have had hundreds of births over the years and I have never had to help out, in fact I have never even known a mom was in  labor except once when I walked in just in time to see her pull it out!  Chances are it will be the same for you.  One morning you will just see new little babies in the cage.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 01:47:57 PM »

Jamie,

Thanks for the advice.  I will be taking Mia out of her present cage and putting her in the whelping cage, so dad will not be in there with her and the kits.  Wow, good advice on the hut, gosh I had never thought about that!  I think I'll pass putting it in as well as pass on putting in tubes for the kits.
  :::grins:: Thanks again!   

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »

They will be fun for the kits after the first month though, so hold onto them.  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »

I have had hundreds of births over the years and I have never had to help out, in fact I have never even known a mom was in  labor except once when I walked in just in time to see her pull it out!  Chances are it will be the same for you.  One morning you will just see new little babies in the cage.  :)

I actually caught Kira when she was in labor a few weeks ago. She was sitting with her face in the corner of the cage which isn't somewhere where she doesn't normally hang out. Then I saw her raising her butt into the air and I figured out what was going on. When I went closer I could actually hear the baby making little peeping sounds before it's head was out. She kept raising her butt in the air for about twenty minutes. Then I started to see the kit's nose, it took her about five more minutes to get the head through and then she pulled the kit right out.

I put the levels back in the cage with her when she was three weeks old since one day I saw the kit sitting on the bracket where the top level slides into. Since she's going up there anyway I might as well give them the extra space.

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 09:13:27 AM »

What if you ever have to break a sac to help mom out like Jo Ann did with her recent quints.   Say there is a problem and/or mom is to worn out.  How do you break a sac.  With your fingers or maybe some little round tip safety scissors?  And if you must assist to get out fluid from kits nose by using one of those newborn bulbs, do you do the nose and mouth?  Hey, I'm new to this!  Now my husband has delivered plenty of babies having emergencies arise but never assisited in the birth of kits!  They are totally different.  Don't get me wrong here folks......I am not a negative person always thinking the worst will happen, in fact I am truly thinking Mia will be fine on her own!  But, my chins are the loves of my life and I want to be prepared so if we do need to help quickly we have supplies and can help. 

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 09:36:04 AM »

I have never had to remove a sac but I have seen mom do it.  She very aggressively bit it with her teeth and pulled it right off.  I don't think it would be too strong, but it wouldn't hurt to have some safety scissors around just in case. 
Our most common birthing problems have mom biting off a toe, an ear, or a bit of the tail during delivery.  These can bleed a lot but do not require any vet care.  They heal on their own- just watch for signs of infection.  Its most common with new moms.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2006, 03:02:43 PM »

::silly::Hi All,  First, I am not a vet, I am telling you what I have had to do, on 4 different occasions and it has worked for me.  It is up to you if you try the same thing.  If you do, please practice a few times ahead of time so the kit won't go flying. :-[

When a mom has multipal births, or a very large kit that has taken up time and lots of energy,  OR when she pops them out one right after another, with out time to clean them up properly, {All three of which are rare}, you have to be prepaired.   ::nod::

#1 Rule.  Give momma a chance first, unless it is obvious she is not able.  ;)

Labor can come in many ways, but, most of the time, when it starts, she will flatten out on the bottom of the cage on her tummy and you will see heavy and/or rapid breathing.  As it gets closer, she should stand and many times look almost like she is doing streaching exercises. :blush2:  { You do not want her on her side to deliver, this usually means trouble.  If she lays on her side to deliver, please let the vet know a.s.a.p.}  ???

If she is in labor an excessive amount of time (4+) hours ... call the vet.   :-\

If she can not get the kit out, you will have to help her.  Gently, but firmly, pull on the kit each time you see the contraction.  Most of the time you will loose the kit, but will save the mother and any other kits.  The others must have a way out or they will die, also.  If you don't have the stomach for it ... get to someone who has ... otherwise, you could loose them all.

If you keep safety scissors near by great, if not, poke a hole in the sac at the mouth (between the teeth) with your fingernail.   Quickly peal off the sack (careful not to pull the umbilical cord away from the baby).  Once the kit is free from the sac, cut or pinch off the cord as far away from the baby as possible.   Wrap it in white paper towels, rubbing it to stimulate it and to get it dry.

You should hear some little squeaks very soon.  If not ... and this can be tricky ... place in the palm of your hand with the kit's head where the inside tip of your 3 inner fingers curl over the top of it's head ... secure the kit with your thumb and little finger ... raise your arm over your head ... and come downward in a swinging motion ... the force of gravity will usually clear the lungs and it will squeak away!  If not, do it a second time.  If not then rub/stimulate it with it's head below the rest of the body. 

These have always worked for me.  I've only lost one kit and I think it was dead before I started.

::wave::
Jo Ann 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 04:54:48 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2006, 04:31:49 PM »

::silly::An example of how to hold the kit if you have to get fluid from it's lungs is below.  Of course it will be a new-born and much smaller and you will be able to touch or lap-over the thumb and little finger, but this gives you an idea.  :-[

Jo Ann

P.S. The downward swing is a fast one if you want to get the fluid out.
Practice beforehand, using a salt shaker or something similar in weight and size.    ::nod::

This is just like learning CPR for humans ...
     Do NOT wait until you need it ,to try to learn ... or wish you had.

Jo Ann
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:36:49 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up