Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Worth the price???  (Read 2388 times)

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
Worth the price???
« on: October 07, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »

So I check Chinchillas.com a lot not really to buy any since their prices are pretty high.

The chins I bought from them before were reasonable priced, which is why I considered them.
But every now and then I see these few beautiful chins that I don't know of anyone else breeding and cant help but think about buying them.

A while ago there was a beige violet chin. $700 though, obviously not in my price range.
And just today I looked and there is this beautiful Tan/Violet who I know I could use in my Violet breeding herd.

Question is......Is this little girl really worth $500????

Does anyone know of anyone who breeds Tan/Violets???

Heres the link.

http://www.chinchillas.com/listings/detail...emnum=876094350
~Jen~

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Worth the price???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 07:05:35 PM »

I guess I would say it depends on your reason for breeding.  Hobby breeders, like myself, usually are just breeding for pleasure, not profit, and tend to breed animals that are sold as pets.  We strive to breed the highest quality we can, but ultimately this is not our livelihood, and the main goal is to produce healthy, "nice" chinchillas who will be good companions to their owners.

The chins on that website, which I believe is owned mainly by Ritterspach, are mainly aimed at professional breeders and furriers.  Those people make their living off the quality and saleability of their animals.   By the way, $500 is a way low price from what I have seen on that site.  I have seen them routinely auction off animals for more than $1000.  I would bet the price on that girl will go up before too long...there's still two days left on her bidding time.

So if you are not breeding for profit then, to my way of thinking, it doesn't make sense to sink that much money into one animal.  But, if you are looking at breeding professionally, buying those chins might be a wise long-term investment.

I would also suggest, if you have fellow breeders nearby, you could always buy (the males, at least) jointly, which cuts the cost for each person significantly, and then share him as a stud male for your individual females.  I have heard of breeders using that strategy to make it more feasible to purchase very high quality show animals.

Also, you should also notice that the animals auctioned off are show animals.  But you can also purchase chins from Ritterspach that are perfectly good for breeding but lack one of the characteristics they look for in shows.  Those animals are much more reasonably priced if you are willing to take the time to find a mate who compliments them well, to produce better kits.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 07:15:15 PM by Abby W. »

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 02:08:59 AM »

I don't know if I would pay $500.00 for a chin that has never been showen. I would ask a few more questions of the seller. Have the parents been showen. Is she proven. Things like that.  I would pay $500.00 for a quality chin. Sorry I don't know anyone know anyone who breeds Tan/Violets.

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 04:25:21 PM »

Thanks guys for your help.  Im just a hobby breeder as well, so I dont think that
buying her would be a good idea.
I bought two chins from him in the past and they were reasonable priced not at all near
500, or 1000.

I guess I never thought of it from that standpoint before.  :doh:  That most of the chins he sells are mainly
for show.  It says so above each animal what they intend them to be and I never
put two and two together really.

Im going to pass on her.
Im really interested now in looking for a Solid Ebony (Extra Dark or Homo) whatever they are called
these days, as well as a
Pink White female.

Thanks again for your advice!!!  I knew I could count on this thread to put some
wise thoughts and meaning in my head!  :::grins::
~Jen~
Pages: [1]   Go Up