Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just back from Exotic pet show and...  (Read 2762 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Just back from Exotic pet show and...
« on: September 01, 2007, 03:33:50 PM »

... there was only one man selling ferrets, bunnies, chinchillas and such. The only other chinchilla I saw was from what I believe was a zoo type exibit and it was talking about chins in the wild- not as pets. I was surprised there were chinchillas at all. I had thought about setting a booth up but not bringing my animals- just pictures, care packets, products and things and my cards. The man was the first booth as you walked in and a lot of little kids were hitting and opening the cage and grabing at them and my heart sank for the chins. There was no ac so they were hot and in piles on eachother. There had to be about 20 at least in one of those rabbit cages with the plastic bottoms they sell at pet stores. All standard (didn't ask if they were male or female) and their fur was shaggy looking because of the heat and handling, among other things. A young girl bought one and had it sitting outside in the heat letting people who walked by play with it and I just had to keep walking.

It bothered me because I feel like the people weren't being properly educated and it wasn't the best setting for the chins to be for two days. Children were hitting the cages and grabbing them thinking they were cute and wanting to buy take them home. There was a vendor talking to me about how that is just the way it goes at shows like this. TONS of people were set up to SELL their animals- not really caring to who or telling them specifics to keep them alive and healthy. (There were more reptiles then anything else- but he was talking about most of the people there in general)

I'm all about doing lots of research and learning as much as I can to educate people and let them know what it takes and about the animal in general. I feel like its a duty for a good breeder to do that. To worry about the outcome of the animal.

I just needed to kind of vent.. and I wanted to know everyone's opinion about shows like that and those situations.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Just back from Exotic pet show and...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 07:09:59 PM »

Honestly, I can't even go to shows like that...  I can keep my mouth shut in many circumstances, but that isn't one of them.  I agree that educating yourself and trying to help educate others is the best thing that we can do, not just as breeders, but as owners of these animals that many people know little to nothing about.  I am very selective in who I sell to.  I know my babies have a good home here and they will stay here until I can find a home for them that is just as good.  If that home can't be found, that's not a problem since they're perfectly happy right where they are!

I don't sell through the newspaper.  I don't sell through posters at petstores.  I don't sell to petstores.  I would never sell in an environment like the one you're talking about.  By selling through any of these methods, I don't get any peace of mind in knowing that my animals are going to the best home possible.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 07:59:34 PM »

It's good to hear that. I agree completely. Like I said- I was surprised to see them there because I would think breeders would feel the way you and I do. We went because my fiance wanted to see all the reptiles. I won't be going back.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

ebengston

• Have You Hugged Your Critters Today?
    • View Profile
    • Seeds of Hope Pet Rescue
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 09:31:03 PM »

I have gone to those types of shows and have seen breeders. The last show I went to the breeder had a 10 year old female that she was selling. I guess the chin was not of any use to the breeder anymore, so selling her for $75(I think) was the easiest way to get rid of her. I tried to get the breeder to drop the price and I explained that I was a rescue. I told her that I would make sure the chin would live out her life as a pet, but she declined. I hope that chin went to a knowledgeable home. Those shows are about moving excess "stock"(imo) I always feel so aweful and wish I could take all the exotics home.  ::cry222:::
Elizabeth & My Critters

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2007, 11:06:43 AM »

::silly::  It would not do for me to go to a show like that ... I'd end up in jail.  I'm not a violent person and I always try to conduct myself as a lady ... but when someone misstreats an animal, a child or an elderly person ... I loose all sense of reason, if the person will not listen to reason.

:flames:  I'm sure that woman that was selling her 10-year-old-breeder instead of retireing her in a nice home wouldn't think a thing about selling any of her chins (or her own children) to any one with money in their hands.   ::tickedoff::

Sorry, but my son is grown and on his own ... Now, I am the mother of 211 chins ... they are my babies and I would do most anything for them to make sure they all are happy and healthy.

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 09:20:26 PM »

Oi I am highly sensitive when it comes to the treatment of animals. I'd put my life before my animals =/.  So yes Id be in jail too.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 01:43:06 PM »

I'd end up in jail.

Me and you both.
Don't see any shows like that here. YET!
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up