Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pets and Chins sharing the love?  (Read 6098 times)

BrightEyed

• Appreciation points: 1
  • Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
    • Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
Pets and Chins sharing the love?
« on: September 06, 2007, 07:38:41 PM »

Does anybody here have any non-chin pets who get along well with your chins? Or any non-chin pets who don't?

We have a boxer mix that is a year old this month and she is way too silly to even be let near my chins. I have the chinchilla room blocked off with a baby gate that also allows the door to close without removing it. When I am in there and she hears me sweet talking to the chinchillas she will rest her head on the top of the gate or sit by the door and whine. She never stops wagging her tail, though. But you can tell she doesn't like to share the love  ;) she wants it all to herself. The chins probably feel the same way.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
http://www.brighteyedchinchillas.com
central North Carolina

Marz

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Pets and Chins sharing the love?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »

╔╗╔═╦╗
║╚╣║║╚╗
╚═╩═╩═╝

^
 |  love that LOL

I'm pretty sure none of my hamsters would even care about my chinchilla. NOT GOING TO TRY ANYTHING. I've had bad biting experiences.

TNChinChin

• <3 ChinChin <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:06:34 AM »

Hehe.. let's see if I can list the pets + Their like of Chin-Chin...

My Border Collie + Chin-Chin : She gets jealous, but she enjoys sitting on my bed and just watching him. When he's out and about in his ball, she's terrified that he'll run her over, haha.

My eldest Sheltie + Chin-Chin : They adore eachother. And since I have no idea where the hair dryer is,they don't get to be out without the plastic-barrier of the ball between them, since she really likes licking things she loves.  I have a feeling I could let her in his play room at play time if it weren't for her licking all the time.

My youngest Sheltie + Chin-Chin : Indifferent.  He's terrified of Chin-Chin and my mouse when they're in their balls.

My mouse, Nelix + Chin-Chin: Indifferent, I think.  I had them rolling around in their little ball things in the kitchen  for some fun on Monday, and I couldn't tell if Chin-Chin was purposely trying to run Nelix over, or if it was just a "Hey, get off the road!" type thing... Kidding. Theydon't really care about eachother.

So, I suppose I have all ends. :) One that's jealous, and would much rather me be playing with her, one that would spend every waking moment with the chin if she could, and two that could care less.

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 06:38:37 AM »

My sister and I got a Chihuahua in high school (She's old now) named Chloe which lives at my parents house. I almost think after her initial fear is over she would like my chins. We never pet sit her because my boxer mix gets so excited and doesn't know shes not still a little bitty puppy and would want to do nothing but play with Chloe. Chloe being 8 lbs. would want nothing to do with my 40-some lb goofball, Ellie.

I won't probably find out if little Chloe would love my chins or not, but it does make me wonder.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 08:39:38 AM »

::silly::  As everyone is saying, it can go most anyway with a chin and any other pet you may have ... depends on the chin and on the pet.

We use to have a cat, Snuggs, he loved to set and watch them, but never offered to go up to them in the cage or while out playing ... of course that could be because one of the chins use to take aim at the cat with the Jumbo roll around and Snuggs would have to move or jump up in mid air, allowing the chin to go under him, rather than through him.   :::grins::

Then, there's Lady, our oldest (3 years old) Great Dane ... she is my chin-setter and helps watch the chins as I change the cages and will not let them hop out during the time the soiled tray comes out and a clean one goes in.  She just rests her nose on the edge of the ledge, right next to the opening ... if one of the chins tries to get out ... she blows hot air on them with her breath.  She has even allowed little ones to climb in her mouth ... she just keeps it open until they climb out (see the chintoons on my website) ... her favorite time is at night ... she goes from cage to cage sticking her head inside each one to get her night-night chinnie kisses.  When we would go out, she use to open one cage (not always the same cage), let them out to play with her, then as soon as we got home she would let us know there was a chin loose, from which cage and where it was.  It took us three months to realize she was the one opening the doors to let them out when we were gone.  She will even put her paw down on their tail and hold them in place till we can get the chin.   Most of them will go to her just as quickly as they will us, if not more so, in some cases.

Now, there's Raven, she's a 7 month old Great Dane ... I don't trust her around the chins ... she plays to rough.  She has never shown any signs of wanting to hurt one, but, she will have to settle down more before I will trust her to be around the chins.  The fact that Lady will stay between Raven and the loose chin is a warning we listen to.   ::nod::

Buster is our pom, he tolerates them, but ignors them.

Like I said ... depends on the pet and on the chin.

The one thing you always have to keep in mind is that chinchillas can catch almost any illness most other animals can, but chinchillas do not get vacinated or have a natural resistance to these illness ...therefore, what might make one animal just a little sick, can often kill a chinchilla.  Also, an animal can be the carrier of an illness without showing the signs of it.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 08:43:28 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

BrightEyed

• Miss Isabella
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 04:16:09 PM »

:2funny: Your Lady sounds like a good helper- and trouble at the same time. Thats too funny.
Megan
Bright-Eyed Chinchillas
central North Carolina

Jessica

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »

We have a 2yr old pitbull that was raised with all of our pets.  She loves to play with our ferrets and loves to stick her nose in the rat cages and chin cages while I'm feeding or just bonding with them.  We also have 3 cats that are actually afraid of the rats and the chins, lol.

Deeliteful

• Appreciation points: 3
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2007, 06:00:36 AM »

My Dog smokey (border collie mix) thinks He is a big chinchilla . He is protective of the little guy . Sometimes Chupers will make noise and smokey runs in to check on him . I can say go check the chupers and he runs in and hops on the bed to check on him . (cage by the bed) I catch smokey on the table the cage is on nose to nose with the chinchilla at least 2 or 3 times a day . Chupers believes Smokey is another chinchilla I think just really big . I dont let them out together unless chupers is in his ball not because I think smokey would intentionally hurt the chupers but because he just wants to play with him and is so much bigger than him , but when Chupers is in his ball the game is on .

I will be there cleaning the cage out and look out the door to see chupers chasing Smokey around the living room I wish i had a video camera I would tape it because its quite funny to see the dog running from the chinchilla.
Pages: [1]   Go Up