Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gender Preferances?  (Read 1786 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Gender Preferances?
« on: January 07, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »

I have heard that male chinchillas bond much better with male humans and female chins with females and we've found this to be very true with Cheech. He absolutely loves my partner. When he's out of his cage he'll run all over him and sit on his shoulder (he especially loves to do this while he's playing computer games, just to put him off  ::)). He'll cuddle up with my partner and groom his arm hairs (blegh).
But with me, he loves to give me a quick bite. He goes for my knuckles and he once got me on my nose when I was feeding him (left a lovely scab for a week of so). Now he'll jump on my lap or hop onto my arms if I open the top of his cage, so I know he trusts me, but he just seems to love to give me that quick little bite whenever he can. My boyfriend laughs and says that he's trained Cheech well.  rofl
He never draws blood, I know it's just a little warning nip to tell me to back off. He just doesn't love me as much as I love him.

So I was just wondering if you had any similar experiences. I find it really interesting because I'm very new to chinchillas but I've had rabbits for about ten years now and I get on much better with male rabbits.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Gender Preferances?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:52:38 AM »

::silly::Hi Jenova,
     I find that it is more the personality, than the sex of the chin, that determines who they like or dislike. 
     I have one chin female that is in love with my husband and wants him for herself, only.  How do I know this?  If my husband and I hug or kiss in front of her, she will spray me every time I get near the cage for 1 to 3 days afterwards, but not at any other time.  Needless to say, we avoid personal contact in front of her.   :blush2:
     Maybe the little nips are love bites since he has not broken the skin, or it may be a playful thing and he is teasing you ... but, most likely, you are right ... he prefers your partner.  Don't take it personally, it's just the difference in personalities.   ::nod::

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2007, 01:49:18 PM »

Same here Jo Ann,
Not the sex just different chins.
I was told that too Jenova, but have not found it to be the case.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:54:38 PM »

My boyfriend is loving the fact that Cheech hates me.  ::)
Pages: [1]   Go Up