Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Pick-up a New Chin for "Bonding"  (Read 1754 times)

glafond

• Appreciation points: 5
  • # of Chins: 6
    • View Profile
How to Pick-up a New Chin for "Bonding"
« on: June 23, 2012, 11:30:36 AM »

Hey everyone:

I think my Chins are comfortable enough with me where I could start picking them up.

My breeder told me to hold them by their tail so they do not try and jump away if they are scared or nervous. She says if they jump from any significant height they can hurt themselves.

Is it bad to pick them up by their tail and bring them to your body if you support their back legs?

I could use any advice here.

Thanks a bunch!

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
Re: How to Pick-up a New Chin for "Bonding"
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »

Im pretty sure you must hold them by the base of the tail if you do decide to try it or they can release their tail.

glafond

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »

I knew about the hair thing and the base of the tail. But, my main question is, do they absolutely hate it or is it an acceptable way of doing it?

Basically, will my chinchillas hate me if I do this?

Thanks!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

It will be far worse if you drop your chin or partially restrain it which results in panic. It does not hurt to hold by base of tail and is standard practice. If you hold too far from the base you risk dislocating vertebrae in the tail. Contrary to popular myth chins do not shed thier tails but can 'slip' thier fur out where they are being held which makes it very important to properly restrain them. Support your chin also under the chest and front legs.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

glafond

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 11:03:01 PM »

Thanks for your replies guys!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:34:51 AM »

I always tell my new owners to hold by the base of the tail when they are picking them up.  You don't want to dangle them by the tail (this won't hurt them but they don't like it).  Just grab the tail base to get a good grip then use your other hand to go under the body for support.Chinchilla bones are very small and if you hold them around the middle like you would any other small animal you can't control their back legs.

I had a lady come to look at my chins one day and when I had my back turned she reached in a cage and pulled out a chinchilla, holding her around the middle.  The chinchilla panicked and tried to jump from her hand.  The lady ended up catching a hip before the chinchilla slipped from her hand and onto the floor.  Her leg was dislocated and the tendons were torn beyond repair.  It happened in just a split second. The chinchilla never fully regained the use of her leg.

Had she been holding the tail the chinchilla would never have been able to jump away and the accident wouldn't have happened.  This is just one example as to why breeders tell you to hold that tail base. 

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up