Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad Storm Power Out.. road trip with Ottis  (Read 1171 times)

Beccaleigh05

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 1
  • New Chinchilla Mommy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Bad Storm Power Out.. road trip with Ottis
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:23:07 AM »

Hey ya'll.. we just had a horrible storm rip through here and the power went out at My boyfriend's house so I had to leave the house (hes working tonight) and drive to my parents house with Ottis.. Well after a not so fun roadtrip (since he didn't understand we couldn't stay in a house that was 74 degrees and rising) I put him in the small bathroom at my parents. (Covered the sink,tub everything pretty much in towels and cut the water off for extra precautions.  He loved running around and actually started to jump on my shoulders, run around on me and seemed to accept me more than when we are at home which is awesome.. well (here comes my question sorry im a little spastic, after the 80mph winds and bad storm im really shaken up) I somehow managed to scratch my face and it was bleeding pretty bad. I got it to stop and put a small amount of neosporin on it.  Well with ottis deciding to bond with me more today in the bathroom, he rubbed up against my face and got a bit of the neosporin on his fur.. IS THIS OKAY?!?! WHAT DO I DO!?!? I am going to get him a cage first thing when petsmart opens (yay 3 hours of sleep) just incase we have to stay here (NOVEC said power might not be restored for several days possibly).... but I am just super worried now because i saw some of it on his fur i tried to rub it out but between him running around everywhere and still not okay with me petting him a lot i couldn't.  Please send your suggestions asap its 0430am here and petsmart opens at 0900am. 

THANKS YA'LL :)

Rebecca
First time Chinchilla Owner

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Bad Storm Power Out.. road trip with Ottis
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »

You'll be okay. Just take a damp (not soaking, just damp) wash cloth and dab on the spot to get it off. Then dry the spot with a towel.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Beccaleigh05

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 1
  • New Chinchilla Mommy
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:23:14 AM »

well i went to bed and hes been sleeping (i got him a cage today) so i dont wanna bother him and i really am terrified of getting him wet haha.. so maybe try a dust bath?
First time Chinchilla Owner

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »

You don't have to be terrified about getting your chinchilla wet. Just don't soak him to the point where it messes with his body temperature which is the biggest hazard with getting chins wet. But many chins have survived the dreaded accidental dunk in the toilet. You can use water to bathe a chin if something really bad happens if you are careful to regulate his body temperature at all times until completely dried to prevent shock. You can even dunk half of your chinchilla in room-temperature water as a fast way to treat heat stress in an emergency.

Of course this is only a small greasy spot so you don't need to go that far. Try to only get the spot that needs cleaned damp. Chinchilla fur dries off just like any other kind of fur.
Using a washcloth should get most of the neosporin out. Since it's greasy you could try rubbing some dust into it first to make it easier to wipe off. It's better if you chin doesn't lick it off.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up