Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Chinchilla Owner!! have some questions  (Read 985 times)

LeaJo22

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New Chinchilla Owner!! have some questions
« on: October 19, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »

So I just got my first chinchilla his name is Gus Gus, I've had him for a week and half, the breeder said he was 9 weeks old when i got him. I've been trying to bond with him sticking my hand in the cage and such. I was wondering if he is too young for treats? Also he doesnt really chew on his hanging wooden toy I bought him but every time he drinks he attacks the water bottle like hes trying to chew on it.. is that normal? Also i hell come and try to get out of the cage and try to chew on my clothes is that bad? and is it too soon to try to get him out to let him play? He wont let me hold him i tried when i first got him but he squirmed a around a lot and now when i try or put two hands on him he makes a squeaky noise and kinda runs away,.. what does that mean? Sorry for all the questions im kinda a paranoid chin owner, I just want to do it right  :)  also any other suggestions for a new owner are more than welcome  ::)

Thanks so much!
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:15:16 AM by LeaJo22 »

dianah

• Appreciation points: 22
    • View Profile
Re: New Chinchilla Owner!! have some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »

hello leajo! he is too young for treats. however, you can use other stuff which works just as well for bonding, and that's chews! little balls, small apple/pear sticks, bark pieces - hand these to him, he will most definitely take them from you! the hanging wood chew... is it one made out of wooden blocks sort of thing? i find that most of mine are totally unexcited by blocks of wood, they prefer smaller things they can hold and are not as solid. chewing on everything else including your clothes is normal i'm afraid but you have to be careful not to let him eat stuff that can harm him (because he will try!)

as for picking up... i think perhaps you're going too fast. you've only had him for a week and a half and from my experience, most chins don't like being picked up even if they like being tickled under the chin or stroked. i've got six chins and only one likes being picked up and he doesn't actually like to be held! he asks to be picked up and then he protests when you hold him  ::) squeaky noise means he's letting other chins know (i know there are none but... ) of danger. given that you are the danger he's warning others about, i would back off and stopped picking him up unless absolutely necessary (ie vet visits). give him time. scratch under his chin, around his face and ears. he may decide later that picking up is not so bad but it may not happen.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
Re: New Chinchilla Owner!! have some questions
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »

Yes there is no rush he'll be around for years. ;)
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up