Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New cage mate help  (Read 859 times)

Platypus7770

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
New cage mate help
« on: February 11, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »

I'm a new chinchilla owner. I got my first three months ago and she is now 5 months old. Four weeks ago I got another two month old female (they are both female) to be er playmate. The older one constantly attacks her. I try I introduce them slowly, as their cages are about two inches apart and introduced them during playtime but the older one immediately tries to bite the younger. Their personalities are so different: the older is hyperactive while the younger is so cuddly. I tried almost every trick I could google and my breeder suggested: switch their cages for a night, play with the new one before the older, introduce them at playtime, etc. am I out of luck and have to get a new permanent cage for my new chin or is their something else? The new one wants always tries to play and e nice, but the older one is always do aggressive (she's a sweetheart to me, minus the craziness). Thanks!

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: New cage mate help
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »

Sometimes it just takes awhile. Do keep switching their cages.  This helps the older girl get used to the new chinchilla's smell.  Females are harder to pair than males because they are territorial.  Just keep being patient and don't rush it.  Biting is bad.  Mounting is ok so don't stop that behavior if you see it during supervised play time.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up