Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: introducing my chin to a new kitten  (Read 2407 times)

twocoins

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
introducing my chin to a new kitten
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:52:38 PM »

I've owned my chin for about 7 or 8 years. I would describe his temperament as super social. He has had interaction with a hand full of dogs, from inside of his cage, and he didn't mind the big wet sniffing noses. I had a roommate a few months back that has a small dog that would always try to stick her paw inside his cage. He would never run from it, he would just hop over to it and sniff the dogs paw every time. I never let the two meet without some sort of barrier between them.

Now, I'm about to get a kitten from a co-worker and I'm trying to figure out the best way to introduce them. The kitten is 8 weeks old. All the research i've done mostly deals with owners having cats and introducing a chin to the mix. My situation will be opposite. Does anyone have any suggestions for what i should and shouldn't do?

Thanks

cadillactaste

• Appreciation points: 5
  • Fluffy (Standard) and Nibbles (Violet)
    • View Profile
Re: introducing my chin to a new kitten
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »

What exactly are you hoping for? For the kitten to leave the chinchilla alone while he's in the cage. Or are you hoping to have your chin interact with the kitten...like in out of the cage experiance?
~Darlene

kneesaa

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 08:46:43 AM »

Hi, Last year I got a kitten and she leaves the chins alone. She has put her paw into the cage and had it bit right away. So she leaves them alone.All in all our cats leave the chins alone.In fact the other day Tyg was walking by the chins cage and Peaka started throwing poo at him, Tyg didn't even stop, he just kept walking. All our cats are like that. If your kitten happens to be in the room with the chins watch it to make sure that nothing does go wrong. All it takes is one wrong swipe of the paws and your chin might get hurt. As for me I have never had a problem with our cats be around the cages. I would not trust them if the chins were running around at play time, my cats are not aloud into the bathroom when it is play time, good luck. I hope you enjoy your kitten. They are so sweet, they grow up so fast. Shannon
Quyana Shannon Seager

jmdebb

• Appreciation points: 28
    • View Profile
    • Chinchilla Supplies
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 10:03:01 AM »

hi..congrats on new kitten...

what you shouldn't do is put them together..

if your chin gets scratched by the kitten/cat, he can get [please forgive me but i can't remember the name of it..] but it's a disease that rabbits carry and can also pass to chins which can kill..that is at least what i was also taught.

also i have read that chins can also catch other illnesses/diseases from cats.

jean
Your One Stop Chin Shop
http://www.tjschinchillasupplies.com/chinchillafood.html
Huge variety, safe, affordable & brand names
:)
:)

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:35 PM »

aww. I'm jelous. I almost got another kitty. You need to get his shots. Their is a something cats can carry that is deadly to chins. But when u get the kitty shots it protects them from it. Its called distemper or something. Its just one of shots they get. They get 3 serious of shots. I took mine to ucan and they were cant $12 each. Other places are alot more. I never let mine play with the chins. He has gotten in their play pen before and didn't do anything to them. He has chased them before but he learned real quick that he gets in trouble if he does any. He did like to meow at them. I thought that was cute. He would put his paw in through the play fence or chance them from the outside. I didn't really like it, but he never hurt them. Mine's not declawed. Mine was about 8 weeks old when i got him and he was going to live at my bf's place and my chins lived at my parents. He was about 4 months old when my bf and i got a place. I did bring him over to see the chins a few times when he was real young. It was cute bc he was afried of their saucer when they ran on it. He's not anymore. Sorry. I know that doesn't really answer your question. When the chins weren't out i.d put their play fence up around their cage so kitty could only get soo close. I.d just let him check out the chins and the older he'd get i.d just keep an eye on him and if he does something around them i.d say no and use the water bottel and spray him. Thats the best way to train them. I wouldn't let him in the room while ur chin is out since he justs run around the room.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 06:10:40 PM »

My cat gets along fine with the chins . Some of the chins hate the cat some love him. everyone knows who's who  :D

But I did sell a couple to a lady who's cat tried to pull her chin through the cage and killed it.
cats are natural predators so always be careful.
Debbie.nl.ca

twocoins

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »

Well, everything has gone smoothly. The kitten is curious of the chin but my chin doesn't seem to care. I was more worried that my chin would be stressed by the intro to a cat. The kitten actually gets scared when the chin responds to the cats curiosity.

I never intend for these two to ever come in contact without a barrier in between them.

Hoppinchins

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:04:20 PM »

aww. Glad its going good. Thats how it was at first with my kitty, but that will change as he gets older, he won't be scared of them. Enjoy him being cute and tiny bc kittys grow up to fast. Can you post a pic of your kitty?

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 01:06:31 PM »

::clapp::

Awesome.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up