Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla Sick?  (Read 3904 times)

Godzilla

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Chinchilla Sick?
« on: May 03, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »

Hi. I have a chinchilla "Godzilla". He is GREAT! He gets exercise/ play time every night and has his own routine. Recently, I noticed he was losing fur on his front paws. I also saw what looked like a wet ring around his left eye that hasn't gone away yet. Also, he is barely eating. I tried giving him some of his favorite treats and he wouldn't eat them. (He NEVER turns down his treats). He still went out and played like usual last night so he's not looking tired or weak. But these recent symptoms have me concerned. Anyone have any ideas of whats going on?

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Chinchilla Sick?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2009, 12:56:16 PM »

::silly::

I tried giving him some of his favorite treats and he wouldn't eat them. (He NEVER turns down his treats)
  You have a very sick chinchilla on your hands.   
What do his poops look like?  Normal -oval moist, but firm  OR  Dirrhea - soft, mushy, sticking to everything, OR small, hard and dry and not as many of them as usual ...
Is he still drinking the normal amount of water?  These two questions and their answers are VERY important.

You have reason to be concerned and I do suggest he sees an exotic pet vet, that is familiar with chinchillas, as soon as possible.  Chinchillas have a tendency to hide their illness ... more times than not, by the time you know something is wrong, it could be to late to do much about it. 

Loosing fur around the paws could be caused by many things ... a fungus, nerves, ringworm, to many dust baths/dry skin, etc.

A wet eye could mean many things ... some of which can be fixed with medication, some of which are not easily fixed ... but he does need to be seen by an exotic pet vet that is familiar with chinchillas to find out what is wrong and if it can be fixed.  Virus, infections, bacteria, a small scratch on the eye or around it and/or tooth problems ... just to mention a few ... it could be any one of these.  None are good, but some are much worse than others.

Not eating good could be due to not feeling good or could be due to being sick or due to a bowel blockage ... you need to find out for sure and do so a.s.a.p.  Regardless of the reason, it needs to be corrected quickly.   A chinchilla that is not eating means it's digestive system is not working properly, or it may be blocked, or he is sick, or the digestive system is shutting down ... not a good thing.  When the digestive system shuts down, a chinchilla can easily/quickly die. 

He could have something as simple as something stuck between his teeth, making his gums to sore to eat ... Or ... a cracked or chipped tooth, same effect ... OR ... malocclusion (hopefully not).  A chinchilla usually eats, unless he is in pain or sick.

If you can not get to a vet today, I suggest you give your chin some yogurt or acidophilous, mixed with some ground up hay and/or pellets.   If you have a food processor or a blender, either of these can be used to grind up the hay and/or pellets.

Using the yogurt and/or acidophilous mixed with the ground pellets will help replace the flora in his digestive system (hopefully getting it started again or keeping it from shutting down completely) and help him hold on a bit longer, maybe until a vet can see him tomorrow.  Acidophilous has to be refrigerated after opening.  Make the mix into tiny little footballs about the size of a raisin and give him 1 or 2 at a time ... keep the others refrigerated in an airtight jar, until you are ready to give them to him.  If he refuses these, try giving him the yogurt with a tiny bit of ground hay, using a glass eye dropper ... one drop at a time, if necessary.

Please keep us posted.

::wave::  Jo Ann

P.S.  If the digestive system is blocked ... if his poops are small and hard and very few in number ... this is the only time you will see me suggest using any kind of a nut ... give him one or two almonds, and plenty of water ... even if you have to feed the water to him by using an eyedropper.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 12:59:16 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »

Thank you for the information!!! This is exactly what I'm looking for.

His poops seem normal if not larger than usual. Dark and hard. But it seems again, they actually seem larger 2 at a time stuck together.

The water level on the water bottle hasn't gone down so I can only assume he isn't drinking much either.

I'm in the process of looking for a vet in the area that will look at chinchillas!!

I left a litte hay in his cage and he seemed excited about that. He was also just as active during play time! I'd think that if he wasn't eating he would be tired and have no energy.

How much yogurt should I give?

Thank you soo much for your adviceeee.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2009, 04:35:06 PM »

::silly:: 
His poops seem normal if not larger than usual. Dark and hard. But it seems again, they actually seem larger 2 at a time stuck together.

If he is passing two at a time (stuck together) and they are hard, sounds like he might be getting dehydrated and will need lots of fluids.  Try putting a bottle of water and cranberry juice (about half and half of each).  The taste is usually appealing, it helps flush the kidneys and should help get fluids into him.  Pydealite, (sorry about the spelling, I know it is not correct) for babies would also be a good idea.  Gerber sells them flavored with apple and in individual serving sizes ... this saves money because the pydealite is only good for 24 hours.  Get him to drink, even if you have to give it to him with an eye dropper.

The water level on the water bottle hasn't gone down so I can only assume he isn't drinking much either.
I was afraid of that.  Does he look round and plump as usual or is the outline of his spine beginning to show?  If so, he is getting dehydrated.  He needs to see an exotic pet vet a.s.a.p. ... if you can not find one, ask a regular vet if he will at least give him fluids and do a stool check for the Giardia parasite.

Give him all the hay he will eat, he needs to keep his digestive system going.  If hay is all he wants ... give him plenty ... I usually suggest Alfalfa hay when one is sick, but any one that he likes will do for now.

I get the individual servings of yogurt ... less waste that way ... just take out a couple of teaspoons full at a time, you can add more as needed, mine like the strawberry, banana and the blueberry best.  Just feed it to him with a tea spoon ... he can lick it out of the spoon ... some have to acquire a taste for it, so it may take several tries.   I would let him have as much as he will take today and up until a vet can see him, then let the vet decide from there.  I pass it out to mine like a treat ... most of them like it ... I have one that will literally cry for it ... she has to be the first and the last to get it or she gets mad at me.    :)

My Little Jamie

Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2009, 05:29:01 PM »

Okay, I broke up the hay and put in with his pellet meal and he started to eat a little bit. I tried introducing the cranberry/water & strawberry yogurt. He initially acted interested but then took off into his little box. So I'm a little angry with myself for trying to introduce it WHILE he was already eating. (I should have just left him alone until after he finished, rite?).

So, I am going to continue to try to get him to drink a little bit more.

I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow morning. 

Thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it!!

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:29 AM »

::silly::   What did the vet say?  We haven't heard from you since Sunday.  How is your little one doing?

My Little Jamie

Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 11:30:22 AM »

Hi!
Sorry for the delay!!!

I went in Monday & the vet examined him and determined that the primary cause is his teeth.

Tuesday Godzilla went in for a molar trim and further examination. Turns out, I wasn't giving him ENOUGH hay and was giving too many pellets/treats. Therefore, he wasn't grinding his back teeth properly. He was grinding the sides and he formed a spike with his back tooth that was spearing the side of his cheek resulting in sores, ulcer & prevented him from enjoying to eat which caused the loss of weight!

The vet also determined that a part of the pain is his back teeth are slightly impacting.

He is recuperating very well!!!! I was nervous he would be traumatized by the procedure and all the strangers but he bounced right back!!! He is on a low dose pain killer for the impaction. An antibiotic for the sores. I also have to feed him a special formula to fatten him back up!!!!

Once I brought him back home he was playful and drank his water immediately and went straight to his food bowl. GREAT SIGNS!! He is almost back to his normal self.

Now I have to make some changes. Spoiling him with too many treats was hurting him in the long run!!! Lesson learned!
I have to provide hay every day to help him grind his teeth properly and a stricter pellet diet.

Thank you soo much for all of your help/advice. I'm so glad I turned to this forum when I did or else it may have been to late!!! I really appreciate it!!!! Thank you!

Godzilla

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »

After I wrote up my post before about Godzillas diagnosis and procedure....

I received a phone call from the vet regarding his bloodwork.

The results show some problems with his kidneys. The vet said it could have just been from his dehydration. But, there is the possibility that it won't get any better. So we lowed the painkiller dosage (which could affect him with bad kidneys).

So I am keeping a watchful eye on Godzilla to see any negative signs that show I would need to rush him back. But if no negative signs then he doesn't have to go back to vet for 1 month.

Still Godzilla is showing only signs of GREAT recovery. He is eating, drinking, playing with his toys and the dog. (Who was depressed all day yesterday without him). So he is still doing very well since yesterday.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2009, 08:04:46 AM »

::silly::   All in all it sounds like good news!   :::grins::   I would keep the cranberry/water bottle along with the pydeialite bottle on the cage.   The cranberry/water mix will encourage him to drink more and help rid the kidneys of the poison built up there.  The pydeialite will help get the water into his system faster ... remember, it has to be changed out every 24 hours. 

I would keep up the yogurt, but only give it to him halfway between the doses of antibiotics.  Antibiotics kill all bacteria, even the good ones referred to as "flora" that help keep his digestive tract  moving properly.  But ... yogurt is a milk product and milk will mess with the antibiotic properties ... to keep from having a problem ... the yogurt must be given about 3 hours before/after the antibiotic or they will cancel each other out.  Please read this article: "Don't Let the 'Cure' Kill Your Chinchilla!"   At: http://www.geocities.com/jobernstein1949/

::wave::   Jo Ann

Keep us posted!  And keep hay in his cage at all times ... even if you have to put it in 10 times a day ... he needs the chewing and the nutrients in the hay.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 08:07:57 AM by Jo Ann »

My Little Jamie

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:32:03 AM »

Sounds like you have a trooper on your hands.Congrats.
Some do very well with trims and teeth treatments.
Keep a close eye on him. You'll now know the signs to look for should he need future trims.
They hide illness so well your lucky you caught it in time.
Keep lots of Timothy hay there for him at all times. He may pout at first but when he's hungry he will eat it.
Good luck and keep us posted on his progress.
Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up