Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
 on: August 27, 2019, 08:21:30 AM 
Started by dave67 - Last post by GrayRodent
Have there been any changes in her environment? Could something have stressed her out the last time she was out? New smells, pets, smells from someone else's pet? What about devices that could introduce new sounds? Chinchillas react especially to low frequency sounds.
As long as she is maintaining her weight I wouldn't be too concerned.

on: August 22, 2019, 06:52:19 PM 
Started by dave67 - Last post by dave67
Zoe is my Chin she is very friendly and I got her three years ago. For some reason Zoe has been staying in her cage not wanting to come out and run around the dinning room which is setup for a chin. She eats well and has energy but stays at the top of the condo on the shelf and watches us. We cleaned her cage tonight and she normally she runs around. Tonight after the cleaning she is back on the shelf  I would like some insight as to why she is doing this behavior. she does not seem to be sick.

Thanks
Dave

on: August 22, 2019, 05:01:41 PM 
Started by Hyde hyde - Last post by Hyde hyde
Thank you. I wanted to make sure before trying it.

on: August 22, 2019, 10:10:50 AM 
Started by Hyde hyde - Last post by Flint
No, please do not give your chinchilla any type of seed. Chinchillas cannot process fat which seeds are high in and fatty liver disease and death may ensue.

on: August 22, 2019, 06:56:48 AM 
Started by Hyde hyde - Last post by Hyde hyde
I was recently given some hemp seed for my small pets. I don't want to give my chin the seed if it would be bad for her. She is 15 years old.

on: June 19, 2019, 11:48:55 AM 
Started by chinca1 - Last post by chinca1
Thank you.

on: June 18, 2019, 11:53:35 PM 
Started by chinca1 - Last post by Flint
I am so, so sorry. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

on: June 18, 2019, 07:29:39 PM 
Started by chinca1 - Last post by chinca1
Sadly Einstein passed away today.  The saddest part is that we actually had his tooth problem under control compared to where we started.  We got a solid month of hay and pellet consumption recently for the first time since this started.  I thought he might make it for the long haul.  We were almost back to normal and things were getting better as each month went on whereas I thought it would get worse each month.

After about 3 months since the last trimming, he went in for a proactive trimming (more trimming was always expected to fine tune things) and the vet nicked an artery.  He lost a lot of blood and his heart stopped a few times.  They could not bring him back.  I got to see him after his heart stopped twice and I think he recognized me.  He was checked in for observation overnight and died a few hours after I had to leave him.

I can say that with his particular type of malo (the way his specific bite was misaligned), he had a good quality of life the past several months.  His teeth were not growing inward and he never even drooled from it.   Yes, we had a few trimmings and most of the time the recovery was not very prolonged with 1 exception. 

His death was an unfortunate accident or mistake based on how you look at it.

I appreciate everyone's support here over the past few months.

on: June 17, 2019, 07:28:50 AM 
Started by Momosmom - Last post by GrayRodent
All animals have different personalities. They also have similar basic natural instincts. Chinchillas in the wild live under rocks. They hide during the day from predators and are active when it is dark. I think it is rare to have a pet that doesn't automatically look for a dark place to hide, although I do have one like that.

on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:32 AM 
Started by Momosmom - Last post by Commo
Chinchillas are challenging creatures to tame. Chances are you could use electric log splitters and will still be making progress in small steps even a year from now. I have one chinchilla who is very tame in regard to being handled but if he gets away he will run and hide and we have a horrible time catching him he's about 7 years old. I have another who is the exact opposite and won't run even you put him in the middle of the floor. Each chinchilla can be a widely different experience.

Is it fair to say that this depends on the personality of a specific chinchilla too? They're all different, right?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10