Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10
 on: November 20, 2019, 05:18:34 AM 
Started by Jonny G - Last post by GrayRodent
I'm so sorry to hear this. I think you did the right thing. I suspect it is related to aging.

on: November 18, 2019, 04:47:28 PM 
Started by Jonny G - Last post by Jonny G
Yes I have. No one replied to other forum. I'm taking him down this week to be put down as ive had no info yet to help. His been out with me more than in his cage since. I don't know how he manages to break his legs. I made him a new cage 2 years ago so his got no big jumping climbing all mostly flat and his still done it again.
I got 2 more chins in another cage identical to the 1 he broke his leg in and they've been in there for 15 odd years

on: November 18, 2019, 11:35:28 AM 
Started by Jonny G - Last post by Flint
How does your chinchilla manage to break his legs? I've seen this post on another forum previously. Have you had your chinchilla examined by a vet in the time between posting here and on the other forum?

on: November 18, 2019, 11:18:47 AM 
Started by Jonny G - Last post by Jonny G
My chinchilla now is 17, he is very fit even after he had 1 of his back legs amputated 2 years ago. but very sadly I've just found him dragging his other back leg along which means his more than likely broken his other back leg. I now fear the worsted that I will have to have him put to sleep as I've not heard of anyone with a chinchilla with only 2 front legs unless anyone can prove me wrong on here and give me some hope.

on: October 29, 2019, 07:20:52 PM 
Started by Dex21 - Last post by GrayRodent
Like I said, don't be concerned unless it looks red, swollen, won't retract, or appears to be causing the animal trouble. An abnormality like a large visible tumor will probably have some serious symptoms.

My two chinchillas used to be really bad about going after each other before I permanently separated them. One time the mess was so bad on my white mosaic's back I pretty much gave it time, dust bathed about once a day for three days, and as it started growing out I was able to lift out the matted fur. He has a very cottony texture so it was a nightmare but fur grows constantly and if you can break up the mat with your fingers it will grow out. Since then I just make sure they stay separate or I can separate them quickly if they start going after each other. Haven't had that problem since.

on: October 28, 2019, 09:29:41 PM 
Started by Dex21 - Last post by Dex21
Yep, he's always had the ball-shape near the tip, but there was a noticeably large bump about 1/2 way up the shaft as well.  It disappeared shortly afterwards.

He seemed alright afterwards, but his ears turned pink (indicating he was hot), so I cooled down the room and he seemed okay after that.

I have read that while some will swallow it, other chinchillas can spray their semen which can get on their fur and severely damage a coat.  While this did not happen, would you have any tips on how to clean their fur in case it does down the road?

Thanks again,

Bill

on: October 28, 2019, 05:14:18 PM 
Started by Dex21 - Last post by GrayRodent
The shaft isn't completely smooth at the end. I wouldn't be concerned unless you see redness, observe urination outside of the cage or on shelving, or if your pet won't fully retract its penis after it is done. Shaking right before they extend it for cleaning is behavior I've observed in my healthy pets.

on: October 28, 2019, 04:41:14 PM 
Started by Dex21 - Last post by Dex21
Hey guys, long time no see.  My chinchilla, Dex, is an unneutered 5 year old male, so naturally he has some humping tendencies.  Usually after a while of me pushing him off, he'll lift his hind legs to pull out his tool, but tonight when he pulled it out his whole body was visibly shaking/vibrating a couple of times.  Then when it was out, I noticed it had a couple of lumps/spherical bulges in his shaft.  He then proceeded to clean it in his mouth, as he does, and then went to lay down.  I'm assuming that he "took care of himself," but I wanted to post this question in case this is something more serious that I need to get him checked for.

This is a weird question to ask about, but I appreciate any and all input.

on: August 28, 2019, 06:24:18 PM 
Started by dave67 - Last post by dave67
She eats normally. After I posted my question she flew out of her cage the other day for 10 or less minutes ran arond the room like saying no vet please. There are no other pets but a finch in a cage. I take her to the vet once a year unless she shows signs of being sick. Thanks for the reply.

on: August 27, 2019, 08:22:35 AM 
Started by Hyde hyde - Last post by GrayRodent
Agreed. Seeds are not good for chinchillas. They can subsist entirely on timothy hay plus a good pelleted diet and live very healthy lives.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10