Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whiskers!  (Read 6229 times)

pink

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Whiskers!
« on: August 29, 2007, 08:26:59 PM »

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me out a bit. I got my chinchilla, Tonka, a little over a week ago, and I never thought much of it, but his whiskers are kind of messed up looking. Like, my other chinchilla Roger's whiskers are perfectly straight and very long, but Tonka's are kind of bent. Crinkled would be a better word to describe it I guess. Is that normal? I heard that with other small animals it can throw off thier balance if the whiskers are messed up, and I was wondering if anyone new if that was true with chins too? He doesnt seem to be very coordinated like the other chinchilla, Roger. So I don't know. And he's got a pretty short tail, do they always have really short tails when they're 5 months? I guess they probably do, it just seems wierd lol. Sorry if this souned stupid, I'm just curious! Thanks =)

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
Re: Whiskers!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 09:04:36 PM »

Chinchillas will sometimes chew off each other's whiskers as a sign of dominance, but that doesn't sound like what you're describing.  Is it possible that the whiskers were bent from laying against the side of the cage?   ::think::

The tail isn't likely to suddenly grow long.  It generally says the same proportion throughout their lives.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 09:44:21 PM »

I have seen chins chew on each other's whiskers during grooming and they get that crinkled look you are describing.  The other chin nibbles on the whiskers but doesn't break them off, just kind of chews them up a little.
I'm not really sure what the deal is with that, because it doesn't seem to be an aggressive thing.  I have seen chins do it while mutually grooming one another. 

To my knowledge it does not affect their balance.

The tail thing could indicate that he is a mix of the different types of chinchilla, of which there are three:
costina, lanigera, and brevicaulda (not sure I spelled that right)  Anyway, each one of these breeds has different physical characteristics; the brevicaulda is the largest one and is characterized by a stocky thick body and a short tail.  Many domestic chins are a mix of these breeds (mostly of the two smaller breeds, I think), but it is possible your chin has some of the larger breed in his background and got the short-tailed characteristic that way.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 01:23:25 PM »

::silly::  It could also mean that the chin has been injured.  When a chin mom gives birth and it is breach, often a tail (or a part of it) or even a limb may be severed when the mom is trying to pull the chin out in order to save it's life and those of it's sibblings as well as herself.  When one is injured so young, it seems to adapt early and usually very well without the missing part/parts.

Sometimes the sibblings will injure each other when fighting over where they are going to nurse or just rough-housing it.

With the whiskers, it could be that they were damaged by this chin or another one it might have been housed with it.   But, it can also be a sign of lack of certain neutrients/vitamins it may need. 

Chinchillas use their tails for balance. 

They, like mice, will often use the feel of the whiskers to judge whether or not they can get into or out of a place/hole.  Chinchillas try to groom and keep their whiskers healthy, just like they do the rest of their body.   :)  Chinchilla whiskers are very sensative and ticklish ... they do not like to be tickled and will often bite to stop you.

::wave::  Jo Ann
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 01:26:12 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 02:25:01 PM »

If your chin is still a youngster and there were other kits in the litter then one of his siblings might have chewed on his whiskers. I had one litter where one male chewed off nearly all the whiskers off one side of his brothers face, which made him look really rediculous for quite a while until they grew back.

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2007, 01:39:01 PM »

Yes sounds like damage to me as well.
I have had 3 females kits in the one cage and the gal who slept in the middle got her whiskers trimmed right down.
Now they are adults and don't do it as much. I guess she got the idea and moved.
They chew them off pretty clean cut.
Debbie.nl.ca

pink

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2007, 02:31:47 PM »

thanks everyone! i talked to the breeder I got him from and she said that his old cage mate crinkled his whiskers while they were grooming each other. i'm still not sure exactly what happened with his tail, but oh well. he seems to be fine. I'm out of town now but the person i have watching him says that he's even getting a little more coordinated! so I guess he was just slow or something when it came to being sur eon his feet. again thanks so much, i was a little worried! lol 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 04:35:27 PM »

::silly::  No  problem ...

There are not dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked!

::wave::  Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 12:45:20 PM »

If it was a kitty then perhaps the balance would be off but, a chinchilla has a ton of whiskers! I believe they'd only really need 4-5 of them to be in healthy shape. Most animals use that to sense stuff in the dark but the chins seem to have a pretty good nose. My cats have had their whiskers ripped off before and they grow back black, but they still work. It's kinda like a hair. So, I think your chin is fine!
Pages: [1]   Go Up