Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nipple Size of Momma No Longer Nursing  (Read 6130 times)

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
Nipple Size of Momma No Longer Nursing
« on: July 10, 2007, 10:09:20 PM »

::shrug:: I need some help on this one ya'll. 
I just took in a momma chin who had 2 kits in March.  They are 4 months old now.  Momma still has the typical long nursing nipples.  Does it take a while for the momma's nipples to go back to pre pregnancy size after nursing/weaning is complete?  Do they ever return to normal size or do some females keep their nursing sized nipples?  Forgive my ignorance but I have only had 1 litter here and momma's nipples went back to their pre-pregnancy size but I forget how long it took.

I guess we are trying to figure out if our girl may be pregnant again which is a very good possibility. If she had a breed back she could be due soon!  The previous owners had her in the same cage with 5 other chins when we picked her up, 2 were adult males.
OR, could she still be in a "post-partum nipple stage" right now?
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: Nipple Size of Momma No Longer Nursing
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:53:01 AM »

I do have a few females who now seem to have longer nipples all the time after a few births, so that could be it.  But considering the past history of quick breedbacks I am thinking she is probably pregnant.  The good news is since you said she isn't skinny she will probably go through this pregnancy just fine as she did the others.  There are a lot of breeders who let their females breed back the week after delivery every time.  While I don't personally agree with this practice, those chinchillas do just fine and continue to breed and keep good weight for many years.  So one more for your girl will be OK.

More good news is that even though the baby may be from the son, chances are it will be just fine as well.  I am sure you will probably end up keeping it, but if you do adopt it out you want to tell whoever gets him not to breed him.  If the parents are carriers of any bad health problems this baby could very well develop them.  However, hopefully both parents are from healthy lines and then this baby will be no different then any other (as a pet anyway)  :)

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:56:29 AM »

;) Hey thanks Jamie!  Oh, and you know me....  rofl ......this family of chins is with me in their forever home now!  We have "40" now.   ::)

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 09:28:56 AM »

Are you still planning to come our way in October?  I can't wait to see you.  We will have a blast!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

;) Yes, we are planning to come!!!!!  Hopefully everything will be in order here so we can actually get there.   Really looking forward to it.....FINALLY!
Pages: [1]   Go Up