Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should have been a happy post. Wounds.  (Read 4118 times)

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Should have been a happy post. Wounds.
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:22:22 PM »

My PC broke and while I have been away my boyfriend bought me my birthday present... a new baby chinny. A little violet from a really lovely breeders and he's named Chong, he's absolutely adorable. But Cheech managed to get to his cage when he was out for a run and before I could stop him he'd bitten Chong's middle finger on his left hand. :-[ I'm so upset because I'm responsible for this little baby only just over four months old and he's so sweet I can't believe I allowed this to happen. I can ring the breeders tomorrow for advice but I've managed to get a PC to ask you here (It's past midnight.)

There was a lot of blood but I got some boiled and cooled water with a little salt and managed to dab a little on his hand (thank goodness he's so tame). He's still using it although he picks it up a little and he's cleaned it a little himself. It's stopped bleeding now although there still is blood on his finger (and some got onto his lovely white belly :'(). Is there anything else I can do. I don't want it to get infected. It's not a deep wound just a little scrape. I don't think Cheech meant to do it I think he was just so excited. I'm really, really upset I just can't believe I was so stupid and now what should have been me letting you all know how happy I am with my new little baby has turned to me asking for help. I've only had him for a week tomorrow night but I love him as much as Cheech already. He's the most adorable little boy and I hate myself for letting him get hurt. Any advice would be so much appreciated. Obviously I have take all measures to make sure they don't have contact again for a long time, if at all.  ::scaredspeachless::

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: Should have been a happy post. Wounds.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 09:15:18 PM »

mistakes happen we are all human...so dont beat yourself up about it, and just be glad that they are both still alive and its only a minor boo  boo......if you closed the wound and it stopped bleeding he should be fine...Cheech was probably caught off guard and surprised and the kit was probably interested and it spooked cheech....just watch for infection and keep the cage extra clean until it heals...just to make sure there is no infection, in a day or two put some peroxide on it...he should be just fine though, and atleast it was only a finger and not a whole hand..(I had one of my males bite the hand of one of my females clean off!!)....so dont worry and congrats on your new kit!!! ;)

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 05:22:44 AM »

Thank you.

There are little bloody footprints on his box. :-[
His finger has lost its reddness overnight and gone back to the grey colour, he's still holding it up but he's using it when he moves around, but he's as lively as usual. I think Cheech was just so excited to be around another chinchilla but they're going to be separated for a long while more, I just don't think he knows how to act around the rest of his species, poor thing.

I will make sure everything is clean and he won't have a sand bath until I'm sure it's all healed up. Thanks again for your advice.

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:26:54 AM »

Awwww Jenova, again don't beat yourself up.  You certainly didn't let it happen intentionally.  Just keep watching to make sure he gets better.  Congrats on the new kit!
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

KCchins

• Kansas City Chinchillas
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Kansas City Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 07:51:11 AM »

Blue Kote works really well for chin injuries.  You can get it at a feed store for under $5.  IF you can't get blu kote you can use a bit of polysporin or antibiotic ointment (not the kind with pain reliever).  Just wash his foot and apply a bit of ointment.  Try not to feel bad about the injury.  Just keep an eye on the toe to make sure it doesn't get infected.
---Cathy

I have chins available.
e-mail me KCchins@msn.com if interested.

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 11:39:43 AM »

Just a little update. Chong's toe is much better. It's still a little red but it's not infected and he's using it fine now.

We put them together very briefly today and they weren't as good together as I was hoping they would be but they definitely didn't fight. Just a little chasing. We're going to try again on Friday.
I know the toe biting wasn't hostile, I truly believe it's because Cheech probably hasn't seen another chin since the day he left his mother.

Thank you for all the advice, I'll keep you posted.  :)

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 01:43:05 PM »

no prob Jenova....I know it can get frustrating when trying to introduce chins...lol....but it pays off in the end and they learn to love eachother!! ;)

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 02:15:40 PM »

Awww I so remember my FIRST toe biting. :hugs:
We're all pretty well settled in now , cages in the right places for the right chins.But I have some that will climb the high heavens looking for a certain other.
As the chins in the cage are grabbing hold when their nemesis come looking toes/fingers ::think:: are a perfect target.
I have several chins with a digit missing, and can't believe the mess of blood they can leave around the cage.Geez their not big enough for all that blood.
They have always healed fine with a little cleaning and disinfecting.
Debbie.nl.ca

Asikovsek

• View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2007, 09:18:23 PM »

Ik the feeling...I had one of my beige females out to play and she went up to one of the other cages where one of the 3 month old kits are and grabbed a hold of his little ear and took a chunk out....man was that fun....The poor little guy was soo upset and didnt understand why he got bit..lol...You deffinitly learn what you can and can not do...lol

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 06:05:14 PM »

Thanks for the help and understanding. First on 'to buy' list are stands for the cages that will lift them off the floor then they can't get to each other. Still trying to introduce them.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up