Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Treat clarification  (Read 6904 times)

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Treat clarification
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 06:59:36 AM »

You can give chinchillas Tums on a weekly basis or so to make sure they get enough calcium.  Chins need to have a certain amount of calcium in their bodies or they can have seizures caused by a condition called hypocalcemia ( abig word meaning "not enough calcium").  I am not sure about the exact biological processes that lead to this problem, but I know a hypocalcemic seizure can be fatal, and is certainly dangerous.

As for the nails, I know you can use an emory board to file down their nails, though I have never actually tried it.  I find most of my chins keep their nails relatively short on their own.

He didn't like the tums for some reason. I tried three different flavors. He gnawed for a split second and dropped it. Can I give him a calcium powder stuffed inside a cranberry? (I used to have sugar gliders, used to breed em and the only way they'd eat their calcium was in a cranberry or grape.)

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 08:21:36 AM »

I don't know about powdered calcium, but I have heard of owners giving liquid calcium to their chins.  They dose it by weight, so if an adult man gets 2 tablespoons, a chin would get about 1/100 of that (whatever amoutn that is...)
Sorry, I am bad at math  ::think::

chicosmama

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 08:50:24 AM »

I don't know about powdered calcium, but I have heard of owners giving liquid calcium to their chins.  They dose it by weight, so if an adult man gets 2 tablespoons, a chin would get about 1/100 of that (whatever amoutn that is...)
Sorry, I am bad at math  ::think::

I think it will work. He wouldn't receive a lot because the stuff is strong. So one stuffed cranberry a week would be fine.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up