Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: does color affect health?  (Read 4048 times)

mikasauntie

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
does color affect health?
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:30:07 PM »

Its getting close to time to start looking for a chin friend to adopt.  I know that there are genetic issues that you responsible breeders are careful to try and not perpetuate.  I'm wondering if there are health issues that you've noticed are more prevalent in certain colored chins?  Best analogy I can think of is big dogs and tendency to suffer hip displasia.   

Just want to know what I'm getting into when we visit the breeder and my daughter selects her new friend (and MY new responsibility!)

KB
KB

Asikovsek

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
    • Oil Creek Chins
Re: does color affect health?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:45:19 PM »

I would say that mutations are more sensitive to things.  Standards tend to be more hardy, they arnt as sensitive to sounds and change like I have experienced with mutations.  Standards also run larger and healthier, because they are the purest genetically. If you do decide to get a mutation try to get one on the larger side.  If the mutation is large then more then likely it has come from a very healthy line.  To many people cross mutations too much just hurting our goal as breeders to produce the best and the largest mutations capable.  If you do buy a mutation then make sure you get a strong pedigree, this will ensure there are no previous genetic problems such as MAC a.k.a Malocclusion.  Basically when it comes to colors I always say the bigger the better, they tend to come from a stronger line with less genetic problems.  Just make sure you always discuss the pedigree with the breeder and get as much information as possible. Even the strongest of breeds can become ill or develope a disease, or fur bite. All chins are different.  We can only try to avoid future problems. :::grins::

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 06:38:25 AM »

As a breeder I have not found that health problems follow certain colors.  Some of the more recessive colors such a violet and sapphire can be smaller and have poorer fur quality but as long as you buy from a good breeder there shouldn't be any problems.  The most common genetic problems are heart murmurs and malocclusion and can be found in any mutation color. These problems so up in an alarming number of chinchillas from large pet store chains so please save yourself the heartache and go to a breeder.

I have not found that any color is more sensitive or nervous. Any chinchilla that is handled from a young age will be a great pet!

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

mikasauntie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 07:36:08 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Sounds like my daughter can pretty much have the run of the chin room, then!   We are so looking forward to having our chinchilla cage occupied again.

Curious...do you know if the dwarf chinchillas as hardy as the regular size chinchillas?  I just saw them on somebody's website.  Pretty cute.  I think I read that the people breeding them don't breed two dwarves together and especially not dwarf females to regular size males.  Perhaps that is just because of the issues of little moms having big babies? 

by the way, we're definitely not looking to adopt a dwarf chinchilla.  But I was curious and thought someone else might be as well.

KB
KB

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 10:26:04 AM »

I'm just curious how you catch a heart murmur early without a trip to the vet, if that's possible. :)

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:14:45 PM »

I don't think there are necessarily any early warning signs to the development of a heart murmur.  But my vet taught how to tell the difference between a healthy heartbeat and a murmur (I have a chin who developed one).  I bought a neonatal stethoscope and now include listening to their hearts in my repertoire of health checks (fur rings, weight, tooth color, etc.)  If I hear anything weird I make an appt with the vet right away.  The stethoscope also comes in handy listening to a baby chinchilla's little heartbeats  ::nod::

mikasauntie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 02:20:56 PM »

Jenova, I'm so glad you asked about the heart murmer!  I was wondering about that myself.

KB
KB
Pages: [1]   Go Up