Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: mean chins  (Read 1138 times)

aisling

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
mean chins
« on: February 25, 2010, 01:33:34 PM »

Hopefully somebody can help my chins not to be so mean!!!!!

I have 2 mosaic chins - a boy and a girl, Chilli and Sunni. I love them- I buy them everything to keep them happy but the only problem i have is that they are soooo mean to my puppy, Niki.

If niki is around, minding her own business- Chilli will run down to the door and start staring at her and then we have Sunni, who sticks her nose thro the bars to entice Niki to come closer and then when she does- Sunni bites her on the nose. Niki eventually walks away and when she does, the two of them start rattling the cage as if they're mocking her. It's actually really amusing - Niki is a japanese akita and she's being bullied by two small chins!!!!!

I'm just wondering are they playing or are they nervous and think they need to fight back????
I'm new to chins and just want them to be happy xxx

chinclub

• Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 66
    • View Profile
    • Lowcountry Chinchillas
Re: mean chins
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 03:59:58 PM »

I find that my chins are also very curious with my pets.  I have one that will bite my cat through the bars every chance he gets.  He is very territorial.  If its causing a problem you might want to raise the cage higher to keep your dog's nose safe.

Lowcountry Chinchillas

Walterboro, South Carolina

cusunfireguy

• Appreciation points: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:12:08 AM »

Oh yes, my chins will go after my cats if they think they can sneak up on them.  They pretty much leave my 18 year old cat alone but will go after the other two especially if they get swatted at.  My little girl cat is terrified of them and when we start "chin proofing" for play time, she runs into the room she knows we close off.  Wouldn't think it to look at 'em but they are little spit fires!

Steven
Steven Mobley<br /><br />\"Free Schapelle Corby\"!

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 10:35:20 AM »

yes I have a couple that will taunt my cat. The cat knows who's safe to go handy too. Some have sprayed the cat, so he avoids those. I would think that's what your chins would do if they were upset. Does sounds like they want to torment the dog.
Not sure if a dog would get that message, some will keep going back for more. Dogs seem to want to play & bond with them, were as cats go to instinct. If it moves at all a cat will be attracted and for different reasons than a dog.

Debbie.nl.ca
Pages: [1]   Go Up