Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sick chin sore throat-abcess???  (Read 6602 times)

neeley

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
sick chin sore throat-abcess???
« on: May 25, 2007, 03:57:25 PM »

:-[  Hello,  I have a sick chin and hope someone has seen these symptoms before because he as been seen by 2 different veterinary clinics and I still have no definite answer.  2 weeks ago(on a Friday) I noticed our chinchilla, Chewy having a wet chin, I thought it was from his water.  Later that day I noticed it was still wet and was also a little sticky.  I thought the stickiness came from a treat he had in his cage. I took the treat out.  I noticed when I picked him up, there was an unfriendly odor.  I got on the internet and then realized the wetness was drool.  That was confirmed later that day when he was napping with his head down and a couple of drops were on the floor of the cage, under his head.  He was eating very little, but still drinking water.  When he did eat, he would stretch his neck out and looked like he had a hard time swallowing. On the following Monday, I took him to the first vet and they looked at his mouth and clipped his bottom incisors, but commented they were not real bad, just a little long. (He was no longer obviously drooling and the odor was no longer there.)   2 days later, I took him back again because he was still not eating and no longer drinking water.  They put him under anesthesia and said he had a "swollen throat". but the did not visually see anything wrong with his teeth.  They put him on an antibiotic and critical care. (Did a ringworm test, that later came back negative) I began force/hand feeding him the critical care.  He has small dry droppings.  I was not completely happy with this vet and after reading so much on the internet, I took him for a 2nd opinion. The 1st vet gave me the directions(even written on the antibiotic label) to give 1-3ml of yogurt with the antibiotic.  They never said to give it later.  I learned that from reading your site and others on the internet.  Tuesday(4days ago) the 2nd vet checked him out much more thoroughly.  He said keep him on the antibiotic and also gave a pain med.  They did xrays on him yesterday.  They can see no obvious malocclusion.  There is some density on the xray in the very far back of his mouth under the last molar on the right side.(the right side is the side he was drooling from) but they believe it is the soft tissue.  The vet was going to ask another vet for their opinion and get back with me, but I have not heard anything today.  I am to continue the antibiotic and pain med for another week.  Since he has been on the pain meds he has began to drink water again, but I am still having to force feed him.  Last night for the first time, he ate a partial piece of papaya on his own, but will not eat his pellets. He picks up his food smells it, licks it once in a while, but just drops it.  The 2nd vet did mention he as a little bit of a change in the length of his upper molars on the left side?? Is that not malocclusion? I do know the roots of the teeth all look fine.  I do hear him occasionally making a grinding sound.  I know this is very long, but I wanted to give as much detail as I could.  I love our little Chewy very much and want to do whatever I can for him, especially try to get him to eat on his own again.  He is still active.    Any suggestions???  Something irresistible to eat???  He still won't eat his raisins.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
Re: sick chin sore throat-abcess???
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 05:34:44 PM »

I can't help with the symptoms but I'm sure some of the experienced breeders on the site will be able to. But Someone did mention that they soaked raisins in water over night and gave one to chin that wasn't eating. Someone else also mentioned as a last resort to feed one almond. These aren't recommendations, just what other members have said they've done for chins that weren't eating. Maybe it's hard for him to swallow the dry pellets if he has a sore throat. It sounds like what I had a few years ago, glandular fever, though I doubt a chinchilla could get that but have they checked glands/blood?

I wish you the very best of luck for the little guy.

neeley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »

thanks,  the vet called back today and after consulting with his vet partner, the partner suggest we burr down the left side molars that are currently different lengths and see if he will begin eating on his own again.  We are scheduled to do this on Tuesday.  Anyone know if burring the molars makes them sensitive?  If this is his problem, how long before he should eat on his own again?  As of right now, I am having to force feed him, he just won't eat the critical care out of a spoon.  I have also given him a little apple pedialyte to help keep him hydrated.  I will try soaking a raisin.  I don't think he will eat an almond since he will not eat anything hard, but I will try that too.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »

I have found that very few chins will touch critical care is it is,  I have had some success mixing it with half water/ grape pedialyte, a ground up papaya tablet, and a little bit of honey.  That is the only way I have ever been able to persuade a chin to take it without a lot of wrestling and loss of fur. 

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 11:57:57 AM »

::silly:: Hi Neeley,
    You think yours was long ... this one's longer ...   ::)

He was eating very little, but still drinking water.  When he did eat, he would stretch his neck out and looked like he had a hard time swallowing. On the following Monday, I took him to the first vet and they looked at his mouth and clipped his bottom incisors, but commented they were not real bad, just a little long. (He was no longer obviously drooling and the odor was no longer there.)   2 days later, I took him back again because he was still not eating and no longer drinking water.  They put him under anesthesia and said he had a "swollen throat". but the did not visually see anything wrong with his teeth.  They put him on an antibiotic and critical care. (Did a ringworm test, that later came back negative) I began force/hand feeding him the critical care. 
::think::  Having a hard time swallowing could mean many things. 
1) being malocclusion ... but it would have to be really bad and would be evedent in the jaws on the x-rays ... which you said they were not. 
2) something blocking the throat or esophagus ... like a stomach wart ... we'll keep our fingers crossed that is not it. 
3) inflammation of the throat ... this could come from many things ... chinchillas are much more susceptible to things we once thought they were not. 
4)  a scratch from something he ate (plastic, metal, etc.) 
5) Or many other things.

He has small dry droppings.  I was not completely happy with this vet and after reading so much on the internet, I took him for a 2nd opinion. The 1st vet gave me the directions(even written on the antibiotic label) to give 1-3ml of yogurt with the antibiotic.  They never said to give it later.  I learned that from reading your site and others on the internet.

The small dry droppings is something that has to be corrected a.s.a.p. as in yesterday.  When the droppings become small and dry that tells you two things
1) his digestive tract is not working properly, which is bad and
2) He is becoming dehydrated, also very bad.  A chinchilla's system must be kept working/going or he will shut down/die.
    Gerber baby food puts out a pideylite that is apple flavored and in individual servings in a 4-pack.  Once it is opened, it is only good for 24 hours. 
I would also add a water bottle of 1/2 and 1/2 cranberry juice and water.  The chins usually love the flavor. 
He needs liquids in him any way you can do it.  I am supprised the vet did not give him a shot under the skin to replace some of the lost fluid.
    Yogurt is a dairy product and will cancel out the properties of the antibiotic.  The antibiotic cancels out the flora the yogurt provides ... it was like doing nothing.
     Your chins needs the yogurt, but Yogurt needs to be given at least 3 hours before or after the medication.

Tuesday(4days ago) the 2nd vet checked him out much more thoroughly.  He said keep him on the antibiotic and also gave a pain med.  They did xrays on him yesterday.  They can see no obvious malocclusion.  There is some density on the xray in the very far back of his mouth under the last molar on the right side.(the right side is the side he was drooling from) but they believe it is the soft tissue.  The vet was going to ask another vet for their opinion and get back with me, but I have not heard anything today.  I am to continue the antibiotic and pain med for another week.  Since he has been on the pain meds he has began to drink water again, but I am still having to force feed him.  Last night for the first time, he ate a partial piece of papaya on his own, but will not eat his pellets. He picks up his food smells it, licks it once in a while, but just drops it.  The 2nd vet did mention he as a little bit of a change in the length of his upper molars on the left side?? Is that not malocclusion?

:-\  I'm surprised he was still alive at this point ... he must have been very healthy other wise.

On the Critical Care, if you will go to the pet store in the dog/cat section there is some stuff called Nutri-cal ... it is high in nutrition and is sweet.  It comes in a tube.  Take a small amount of the Nutri-Cal  about the size of a pea and mix it with some of the Critical Care ... make little slightly moist balls about the size of raisins (refrigerate in an air-tight container once they are made) give him as many as he will eat as often as he will eat them, one at a time.  Normally, I would not say this many, but he's in real trouble and needs all he can get in him.

The almond you read about was given as a last resort for a chinchilla that had an impacted bowel ... hopefully your little one will not get to that point.

The throat is to sore to eat any thing hard, that is why he is licking the pellets, but not eating them. 
He is hungry, but in to much pain in the throat and possibly in the mouth to eat. 
I would take some of the pellets and/or some alfalfa hay and grind it to a powder form (blenders are great for this ... just give the powder time to settle to the bottom before you open the top), then mix this with the Nutri-Cal just like the Critical Care.  If he will not eat it, mix it with some water and feed him through a dropper ... very small amounts ... forcing him or giving him to much at one time could cause him to aspirate it into his lungs ... If food or liquid is aspirated into his lungs, it  could cause more trouble than what you already have.

Eating even the partial piece of papaya is a thumbs up sign.  ::nod::  Papaya is softer than his food.

Not seeing the x-rays, it's hard to say, but it sounds more like the teeth are miss-aligned ... of course this can eventually cause malocclusion.   I would like for you to get in touch with Dr. Marty Hull with Meadowbrook Chinchillas.  Dr Hull, a dentist, has been working with chinchilla teeth for many years and might be able to work with your vets.   
at: http://www.chin-chillas.com/  e-mail address: Happychins@olypen.com

California Chins may also be able to consult with your vets on your chinchilla.  www.cachins.org  They are a research center on chinchillas and have been wonderful in helping others.

Please e-mail both of them with the same information you have provided us here on the forum.  And let your vet know there are vets and researchers that will help him by sharing their knowledge to treat your chin.

the vet called back today and after consulting with his vet partner, the partner suggest we burr down the left side molars that are currently different lengths and see if he will begin eating on his own again.  We are scheduled to do this on Tuesday.  Anyone know if burring the molars makes them sensitive?  If this is his problem, how long before he should eat on his own again?  As of right now, I am having to force feed him, he just won't eat the critical care out of a spoon.  I have also given him a little apple pedylite to help keep him hydrated.  I will try soaking a raisin.  I don't think he will eat an almond since he will not eat anything hard, but I will try that too.

Any time a chinchilla goes under anesthesia, it is dangerous.

Any time the teeth are worked on, it can make it sensitive, but to avoid the obvious, it is often well worth it.

I have a little one, "Toofie", that I have to clip his lower front teeth weekly, because he has no upper front teeth, so if the lower ones are not kept clipped, they would grow to the point he could not close his mouth without piercing his nose.

The almond you read about was given as a last resort for a chinchilla that had an impacted bowel ... hopefully your little one will not get to that point.

On the Critical Care, if you will go to the pet store in the dog/cat section there is some stuff called Nutri-Cal ... it is high in nutrition and is sweet.  It comes in a tube.  Take a small amount of the Nutri-Cal  about the size of a pea and mix it with some of the Critical Care ... make little slightly moist balls about the size of raisins (refrigerate in an air-tight container once they are made) give him as many as he will eat as often as he will eat them, one at a time.  Normally, I would not say this many, but he's in real trouble and needs all he can get in him.

Keep us posted!

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 12:15:27 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

neeley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:16:58 PM »

thanks Jo Ann

I have gotten the nutra-cal and will mix with the critical care.  If he will not eat the little balls, can I put it in a syringe and give it to him that way?

Do I get the unsweeten cranberry juice or the cranberry juice cocktail?  I noticed in a different chat posted, both were mentioned.  I will email Dr Marty Hull asap.  Hopefully they will check their emails over the holiday.  I will also give my vet their information. 

Debbie.nl.ca

• Breeder
  • Appreciation points: 30
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's Newfoundland Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:48:56 PM »

The poor darling.
Just to add, the longer he is off his feed means he will malocclude at some point.
He may already be showing early signs and that's what's confusing things now.

Also the main reason it's often too late by the time most pet owners notice a problem.

One of the members here suggested to me one when I had a severely ill chin too grind up alfalfa mix it in a mush and feed it either in a dish or syringe.
I've just had to take that one step further, and make tea.
I put small portions of my mush{alfalfa, critical care, calf manna......} in a loose tea steeper thingy and steep it in the homemade pediolite for "the joy of chinchillas"
After being soaked like that it sinks, so I put it in a small dish and my chin started drinking the tea.
It kept her hydrated until she could eat the mush and graduated to eating pellets again.
I rarely have to syringe feed as they really do want to eat, if they can.
If they will drink you can keep them alive, but the longer they are off their feed the more problems they'll run into.
So if you can not get anything else into him made him a drop of tea. ::kiss99::

He's Lucky to have such a caring slave.
 :hugs:
Do keep us posted.
Debbie.nl.ca

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 06:12:24 AM »

::silly::  Great idea, Debbie, I'll have to try that one.

Also the main reason it's often too late by the time most pet owners notice a problem.

This is to everyone in general that reads this post:
Very true!  Many people never see the beginning signs of malocclusion. 
OR know that there are different signs for malocclusion in different parts of the mouth.

Malocclusion in or near the back of the mouth can be detected by a "weeping" or watery eye ... of course the same symptom could be other things also.

Difficulty swallowing, the roots of the teeth may become entangled with the base of the tung.

Spurs can develop and cut the tung or jaw of the chin, causing inflammation and pain.

Eating habits change ... the chin prefers the 'softer' foods.  (The inside of the mouth is sore.)  For example: calfmanna is softer than regular chinchilla pellets.  Hay and oats are also softer than regular chinchilla pellets.

They no longer seem interested in their chew blocks/sticks.

They are not using their lava stones like they normally do.

Drooling.

All of these can be early signs of malocclusion.  If not treated properly, it can mean the loss of quality of life for your chin, or even a long painful death.

Pay close attention to your chin ... you may not speak 'chin', but you can learn their sign language. 
If you will take the time to learn, they will teach you what they want or need by the different things they do, or sounds they make, or even where they stand. It is all an attempt to communicate with us.
They are trying, we need to be smart enough and caring enough to learn.   :)

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up