Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla room!!  (Read 2129 times)

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
Chinchilla room!!
« on: May 10, 2007, 01:37:31 PM »

Ya My chin room is almost done!! I stared more then month ago. Only working on it a little at a time, hoping that I would get it done by summer time. Now that I have my runs, ac that should keep a 800 square foot house in the seventies. The room is the size of large bed room. Plus a spear one just in case. Still working a generator. I am been testing it out the last few days to see how cool it keeps it. The highest it got 68 and that day was 98. So not to bad. I have themater that also keeps track of the humidity,it also has a remoat that I can take with me in the house and still know what the temp is out in the room. Still a few more kinks to work out. I have to get a water system set up. We painted it last week so it will be good and aired out. So I hoping that with in the week to have the chins in their new room. Is their any thing else I can do or should be doing? I feel like I'm missing something.  ::think::

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Chinchilla room!!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:07 PM »

Does the room have windows for lighting?  If not, you should install some natural lighting.  My room has no windows, so I had to get some construction grade spotlights and put the full spectrum day bulbs in them, and I keep them on a timer so the lights turn on at the same time each morning and off at the same time each night.

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:36:37 PM »

Yes it does have two window's. The one window I had to put something that blocks the heat,that window gets a lot sun. I didn't want it to heat up the room. The other window has tree on the side of it. Thanks for the tip.  ::silly::

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »

::silly::    You mentioned a watering system ... how many chins do you have?  Keep in mind the amount of water a chin is drinking, or not drinking, can be an early warning sign for you.

How do you circulate the air in that room?  Do you have a window that can be opened during the coolest hours to give your chin fresh air?  Air-conditioners are great temperature-wise, but nothing can replace natural fresh air.  Most homes have more pollution in the air consistently, than is out side on the worst days.  We have an exhaust fan in our chin room that runs 3 hours on - 3 hours off - around the clock, then I open the windows for a couple hours between 5 and 7 a.m., when it is normally the coolest.  Before the exhaust fan, we used a small window fan that could easily be taken in and out of the window.  This also helps with the dust bath dust.   ::nod::

Do you have bookshelves and/or stacking containers that give you a place for all your supplies for the chins and for a first aid kit and a nursing kit?  The stacking crates are usually good ... you can add to the number at any time.

Air-tight bins for the food and supplements are always good.  The ones we use are made of a plastic similar to PVC pipe. Got them at PetsMart or Pets-R-Us, not sure which.  They have a screw top that seals the container.  A 25 to 50 pound bag of food last a long time because it is air-tight and they are cooler inside the bin than it is in the room ... as long as it is not in direct lighting from the sun.

But, hay needs to have air circulation and should not be put in an air-tight container.  The free standing containers, in the household department of Walmart, made for dirty clothes usually give your hay enough air to keep it from molding.  I have often found these at a dollar store or a flea market.  Some are made of netting and some made of canvas.  Both are easily washed and allow the hay to breathe.

A calendar to note different important things on, until you have a chance to post them in a book, is always a good idea.  A pen or pencil attached to it.   ::)

Scales weighing in 1 or 2 gram increments is pretty much a must.

A comfortable chair and a table or desk works grate when you need them.

::howdythere::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Summer

• 4everchins
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 12:31:50 PM »

I have in total 30+ chins. But not all are going in the runs. I have three six hole runs. For the now they will have the water bottles. I'm still working on the watering system and if it is going to work for me. The room has two window's. Yes I exhaust fan that go's in & out of the window. Also the  air-conditioner can bring in air from the outside. I also plan on having the door open early in the morning like you said. Thank god the room already had big shelves &a place open stacking. All of my food and supplements are in air-tight containers, expect the hay. Great idea on the calendar & pen. I already have great scale, it weighs 1 gram. I put My Grandpa's recliner in there. I will have get table or desk. Thanks Jo Ann I knew there was some stuff I missing.  ::silly::
Pages: [1]   Go Up