Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aspen shavings or Carefresh  (Read 11266 times)

QTPie61282

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
    • For The Love of Chinchillas
Re: Aspen shavings or Carefresh
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 11:16:27 PM »

I was given a package of it for free when I bought a cage a long time ago, I never had the heart to throw it out, thinking I could donate it or something.  And still to this day I have it.  I dont dare use it. 
I have only heard of rabbits dying, and a few of them.  Ive heard that it affects other animals too, but im 100% about the rabbits dying.  I spoke to our client myself when I was doing her dog's exam.

I wouldnt trust it.  Just the fact that it has a warning on the package scares me.  The eco bedding says its safe for chins to eat right on the front of the box.  I like using this.  But still use the pine shavings for pee pee boxes.
~Jen~

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: Aspen shavings or Carefresh
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2007, 08:11:37 AM »

::silly::We've used the large chip pine bedding that is Kline dried for over 10 years and have had no problems ... when you find something that works good for you ... I say keep it that way, as long as it is not harmful to your chin or your family. 

Only when someone is allergic to pine or Aspen, do I suggest anything else.  I had not heard that about care fresh, but from now on, I will suggest my other alternative ... fine shredded white paper, no print on it.  (That can get expensive, but the doctor trips are more expensive for some one with allergies or a respiratory problem.)  Often you can contact your local newspaper and they will sell you the "what's left" on a roll of paper, or lite-weight typing paper.  Paper towels are also acceptable, but have two down falls ... one ... they are a bit expensive ... and two ... some have strands of fiber in them to help hold them together, these would not be good for a chin's digestive system. Butcher paper is to stiff and can cause mini cuts on you and/or your chin. 

Of course, if you have a wire floor with a pan under the wire, paper towels, newspaper or butcher paper would be acceptable ... as long as your chin can not reach it.  This way, you could use it without shredding it.

Same with dust bath ... all I normally suggest is dust bath dust, preferrably Blue Cloud, if available.  But ... if some one is allergic or has asthma or bronchitis, I suggest the dust bath sand.  It does not clean the chin fur as good as the dust does, and can even damage the fur a little ... but it is an alternative to having to get rid of your chinchilla, or having a dirty chin.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 08:17:40 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up