Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Irritated Eye  (Read 8036 times)

Lori Earle

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Irritated Eye
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 09:41:06 PM »

We have a couple of chins that are prone to eye irritation. These chins get their eyes cleaned out with artificial tears after each dustbath, and then for a couple of days afterward. No exceptions. This really has helped them alot. I'd suggest doing that, and also cutting down on the frequency of dustbaths as well. Don't keep the dust pan in the cage all the time, as the dust can get contaminated with urine, etc. That could add to the problem.
Even though this is an intermittent problem, it is an ongoing one, and I think you should take your chin to the vet, and have his eyes examined. There could be an issue here that you're not aware of, and you could get some more definate answers. Your vet might know of a more effective eyedrop, too. Have your vet check your chins molars as well, as this area is not one that we can check out thoroughly at home. Their mouth is just too small for us to look that far back without a scope.
Eye problems are very uncomfortable for a chin, just like for a person. If it is irritating your chin enough for you to consider using an elizabethan collar, I think you owe it to him to consult a vet to help you with your problem solving here.and come up with an effective preventative plan.
Lori and chins

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2007, 09:53:46 AM »

I hate to bring this up, you already have the eye problem ... but ... have you and/or your vet checked for any knots or bumps along the jaw line on that same side?  Sometimes, what looks like a "wet" eye, is an early sign of malocclusion.  I'll keep my fingers crossed it is not that.

I know Outback Chins (Amanda) has a little one that seems to have lots of eye problems ... you might want to send her a PM or e-mail.  Her website is Fuzzy Chins.

::wave::
Jo Ann

I have checked his teeth and everything seems fine there. He hasn't had any other signs that are associated with malo either, such as decreased appitite or slobbers. He's also afully young to have teeth problems, he's only a year and a half old and his first eye problem occurs when he was about 7 months. The eye also isn't weeping, it's actually dry and irritated which is why I'm thinking it's a blocked tear duct.

Lori Earle:
Have your vet check your chins molars as well, as this area is not one that we can check out thoroughly at home. Their mouth is just too small for us to look that far back without a scope.

The weepy eye can be a very early sign of malocclusion.  The decreased appetite and/or slobbers occur once the malocclusion is full blown, usually between the ages of 2 years and 5 years of age.  To properly check a chin's teeth, they need to be x-rayed.   Most vets will even put a chin to sleep to examine the teeth and x-ray them.

Having said that ... You say it is actually dry eye instead of weepy eye ... I did not realize that.   Must have over looked that part. 

Hope he gets better soon!   ::nod::

::wave::
Jo Ann

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 09:58:05 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

null

• Salty Cracker
  • Appreciation points: 1
  • Humping the shoe that feeds
    • View Profile
    • Three Rivers Chinchilla
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2007, 08:50:00 AM »

He is better now, it's still a little puffy due to all of his previous scratching. I'm keeping him on the artificial tears and antibiotic drops until Wendesday. After that I'm going to give him the artificial tears twice a week and after dust baths. If he gets another one after this then he's going to the vet.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up