Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Sad Trip to Petco....  (Read 5175 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
My Sad Trip to Petco....
« on: January 12, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »

Awww I was so sad today at Petco....I had to go and get dust for my chins, and for some reason the pet store that is close to me doesn't sell dust only the sand which I won't use, so I traveled over to Petco and I walked in...and there it was.....the chinny "cage"  There was about 6 chinchillas in there, all male according to the sign, looking to be pretty young.  They were standards, except they were selling one as a "fancy chinchilla" for 170.00 which looked to be a beige mutation of some sort.  They were all huddled in this little home sleeping....except one kept coming out and looking at me, I was so sad...I felt so bad for them in this glass octagon, almost no ventilation, no toys, no love, cage being tapped on by kids.  Just broke my heart I couldn't walk away from them I kept standing down at them talking to them.

My husband said, if you want to get another cage and another chin, go ahead...but I said even if I had all the money in the world and could buy all the chins on the spot and house them, they would just order more and the vicious process would go on and on.  Then I'd go back over in a month and there'd be 5 more there.  And I dont want to have a chin thats going to suffer from malocclusion in 2 years and send us through that heartbreak  :'(  And, I hope I don't sound selfish here, but I have a high-quality pedigree breeding pair coming in this weekend, and I don't want to give up their space  :-[

Thanks for listening to me ramble....I can still picture their little faces in that aweful place, I wish there was something I could do  ::shrug::

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Summer

• 4everchins
  • Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • 4everchins
Re: My Sad Trip to Petco....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 05:29:23 PM »

I know how you feel.Thats I end up with six rescues.

ChinchillAZ

• Will work for chins
  • Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • The CHINformation Organization
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 05:57:34 PM »

Sometimes, although it's difficult, it really is for the best to know your limitations and understand how the supply/demand process works.  It sounds like you made the best decision.

Jenova

• Appreciation points: 6
  • Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:58:56 PM »

Report them.

There was a little pet shop near me that had chipmunks in a tiny chinchilla cage and they should have no less than 6 feet of vertical space. They were going mad back flipping and stuff. They also had a chinchilla that had been given pieces of orange and was in a plastic house. I won't mention all the others because it's just too sad. I phoned up the RSPCA, the British animal protection services. I didn't know what would happen because after all they were a pet shop and I know there are certain rules that they are allowed to keep animals in smaller cages. The chin wasn't too bad but the chipmunks broke my heart.

Well, a month or two later and there is a big sign in the window saying under new management.  :)

It's always worth a try. Keeping so many in a cage must break some rule of space per animal. The ventilation is a must because of their think fur of course. So there must be an animal protection service you can contact. If they can't do anything then at least you've tried.

Leslie

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 08:39:53 AM »

I avoid pet stores at all costs.  I too also gravitate over to the chinchilla cage and get all teary.... I have to wonder about every other animal in the store too.  I mean, we get upset about the chins because we are chinchilla owners/lovers but the story is probably the same with every species in there.  The puppies are probably from puppy mills and the rabbits are probably from a careless breeder that's just in it for the money.  It's horrible that they put chins in glass cages, but it's probably just as bad for puppies to be behind glass as well.  No animal is okay being sold from a pet store (in my opinion).  Well maybe fish :)

The best thing I have done (and the only thing that will for sure make a difference in YOUR life) is to boycott pet stores and buy all supplies online.  I stock up when I order and it's much cheaper, even with shipping and exchange rates.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 12:08:59 AM »

Keeping so many in a cage must break some rule of space per animal.

::silly::Yes, there is a rule for space per animal .. it is 2 square feet per chinchilla.

The ventilation is needed so that they are not constantly exposed to the consentrated fumes from their own urine and feces ...
If there is not proper ventilation, there will also be a heat build-up within the cage...
This in turn helps produce a bacteria build-up and fungus growth.

If you are a member of the Chinchilla Club, there is a booklet you can print-out and give the pet store ...
If not, copy my booklet on my website and give it to them ... http://www.luvnchins.com/ChinchillaBooklet.html
Make sure you talk to the owner/manager of the store, not just the regular employees ...
If that does not work ...

Report them to the SPCA and anyone else you can think of that might help.

As long as chinchillas are purchased in a pet store, they will continue to sell them.
If they don't sell, they will eventually no longer be offered for sell there.

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up