Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get my chin on the scale!  (Read 3252 times)

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
How to get my chin on the scale!
« on: January 07, 2007, 01:36:05 PM »

I have decided to start weighing them every day or every other I guess depending on my schedule, just so I can stay on top of any problems, esp. pregnancy for the female, etc.  Well, I clear a spot on the bottom of the cage and set the scale down and zero it with the tray on.  My "little guy" as I call him runs over and jumps in the scale the second he sees it!  Of course I give him a half a raisin for him to stay long enough to get the reading, and as a little treat for being so good :)  Ok he's done.  I actually have to kinda shoo him away!  Next I try to lure the female over.  She LOVES her raisins and loves me and will always come running.  But when the scales in, SHE WONT COME NEAR ME.  She runs off to another part of the cage.  I take the scale out, here she comes!  I put it back in, well now my little guy thinks he needs to be weighed again, and off she runs!  LOL.  It's a vicious repetitive cycle!  Any suggestions as to how to get the female to come over near the scale? 

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
Re: How to get my chin on the scale!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 02:05:21 PM »

::silly::I've never tried to weigh one of my chins while they were still inside the cage, a new twist I will have to try.   ::nod::

More than likely, the momma chin is frightened of the movement of the scale when she first gets on it ... the kit knows no better ... he/she has been inside mommy with her moving around, so it doesn't faze the little one.

I would try getting a container that the mom can set in comfortably, weigh the container, with a light coating of dust bath dust in the container, note the weight on a piece of paper.   Place mom and container on the scale carefully, with the least amount of motion possible ... check the weight, subtract the weight of the container and that should take care of getting her weight.

Let me know if my method worked for you.   ::)

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

jmrothermel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »

I didnt originally weigh them inside the cage, but the first weight I did I got the male chin "my little guy" to come out he hopped into the scale, got weighed, went back in it was all so wonderful.  Then the female ventured out (she is more cautious then the male) and I had her in the scale, she seemed to have gotten spooked (but I did get a weight) and instead of going back in the cage, she jumped out the other way and was hopping around the house lol.  So in order to get her back in the cage, I had to go over and just pick her up (which I NEVER do but I had no other choice) so she's mad at me right now  :'(  Its funny that I get all distraught when my chin is mad at me!  LOL  I'm sure she'll get over it, but its like taking 10 steps back in our "trust level" we have going.  So I thought placing the scale inside the cage for the weighs would eliminate the possibilty of another high-stress weighing/running away session.  As soon as she wakes up from her nap I will try the container/dust bath idea.

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 03:34:38 PM »

We just sit our chins in the scale and them hand them a treat they will sit still while eatting their treats. We have noticed if the chin is standing it will take off about 10 grams, as compaired to siting on all fours.

jmrothermel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:13:52 AM »

Well, heres how todays weighing session went:

I took the scale and sprinkled a little dust bath in the tray, and then zeroed it, and placed it in the cage.  Immediately I saw the female coming over!  She stood right above it on the shelf (about 6" up from the tray on it) and I held my hand out to her, she jumped down into it!  Didn't start rolling around (which I was worried about trying to get a weight while she's rolling lol) stood there long enough for the scale to measure her, and off she jumped!  Then the male comes over, jumps on, waits long enough, jumps off!  The whole process was entirely painless and stress-free and took about 30 seconds from start to finish!  Thanks Jo Ann for the suggestion!  I just hope it continues to go so smoothly!

And of course, this brings along another question....I've been able to weigh the male for a few days and every day he puts on a gram or two, which I know he's not full grown yet.  The female is a year now.  From two days ago when I struggled to keep her in the scale (so I can't be 100% sure if she had all four paws down or if it was only two) to this morning she gained 22grams?  Today she had all fours down.  So if she didn't the other day, she still gained 12 grams?  What do you all make of that?  I guess its like anything else, two weights aren't going to tell you much, its the overall picture over a certain period right?

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help, I don't know what I would do without this place!
Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 06:55:31 PM »

::silly::If a chin has just had a good drink of water and/or just eaten, their weight could easily be 5 to 8 grams more than it actually is, normally.   If they have just urinated, it can go in the other direction.

As a rule of thumb, if they drop weight once, don't worry to much ... unless they drop weight 2 or 3 times in a row.  If they gain, then loose ... it is a good chance fluids added or gotten rid of is the reason ... as long as they do not continue to loose over the next 2 weigh-ins.   

I like to keep a calendar or chart right next to the scales ... you think you will remember, but it is easy to get it mixed-up ... best to write it down.   ::nod::

::wave::
Jo Ann
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up