Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giving medication  (Read 4930 times)

chibipengwin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
Giving medication
« on: December 28, 2006, 07:31:50 PM »

Does anyone have some suggestions on how best to give a Chin her meds? My girl Totoro has 3 medications (antibiotic, probiotic and a third, for a respiratory infection), as well as Critical Care food she's suposed to be taking by oral syringe. The vet suggested wrapping her in a towel to feed her.
Long story short, she hated it. Wrestling an angry, scared, and sniffly chin wrapped in a towel in one hand and a syringe of pink medicine in the other was... shall we say, trying. Is there a better method of holding her still to feed her? I feel like she also got too hot being wrapped up like that. I gave her frequent breaks to sit on her chinchiller.
Lastly, the probiotic is quite... gooey. It made it so the small syringe wouldn't slide easily, and I ended up accidentaly shoving a bunch in her mouth at once when the plunger suddenly unstuck, I felt so bad.
Any ideas on how to make this easier on her would be quite appreciated.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
Re: Giving medication
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 09:48:07 PM »

I have found that allowing them to sit vertically against my chest works well, and I wrap my middle finger and my thumb gently around the throat under the jaw so they can't wriggle around too much, but be very careful not to strangle your little one!  As for getting them to take the meds I usually put drops on the bottom lips until it is gone.  They will lick the medicine off their lips and that way I don't end up giving it too fast.  I also found another way to hold them that works fairly well, with the body resting in the palm of my hand, with my index finger and middle finger curled up on either side of the body in front of the shoulder blades.  This again helps control the movement of the head.  I have found that wrapping them really scares and stresses them, and also causes them to get overheated, as you said.  I think it's just a matter of experimentation and finding what works for your chin. 
Also, I have found that pretty much all of my chins hate critical care with a passion, but if I grind it up with a small amount of papaya, hay, and add a small amount of grape pedialyte and a drop of honey, they suck that right down.  Again, I think it's a matter of experimentation and finding what your chin will take. 
I hope I was able to help.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2006, 09:49:45 PM by Abby W. »

Joyce

• Appreciation points: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 10:38:31 AM »

I am actually giving one of ours the critical care right now. 
Rather than mixing it up with plain water I use some cranberry juice cocktail as well, then I add just a pinch (maybe 1/4 tsp. depending on how much you are mixing at a time) of banana baby food to it for sweet taste. Just don't overdo the baby food, you don't want loose poop!  Mix it all up and my chin thinks he is getting a treat!
Ask your vet if they carry the new flavor of critical care.  My chins usually hate the regular flavor but prefer the new apple banana flavored kind.

Many times when we have given antibiotics we have squirted the meds onto a paper plate and mix it with a just few drops of sweet syrup such as plain maple pancake syrup, or smucker's blueberry or strawberry syrup.  Depending on what flavor your chin prefers (they are picky!) they usually find one they like and lick the medicine up.  Don't leave paper plate with them or they'll eat it too!
Chinchillas by the Bay, Virginia

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 07:37:31 PM »

Those are great ideas!  I will have to try the maple syrup thing.  Thanks!

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 08:02:08 PM »

:::grins::

chibipengwin

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »

Thanks for the tips- I have seen a big difference in her stress level since I quit with the whole towel thing.
I mixed her antibiotic with a wee bit of baby bananas, and she lapped it up! She got in about 75% of that, and ate about the same (75%) of her Critical Care, now with a bit of baby apple juice and banana! I was careful not to put too much of the sweet fruity stuff in there so it won't upset her GI tract. As far as a trade-off, do you think the fact that isn't all freaked out is worth the couple of cc's that she didn't eat up? It would seem that such a high stressor would be just as bad for her right now. At any rate, her sniffles are clearing a bit, which makes me a happy mom.
Also, I've heard conflicting info on whether to give dust to Chins with a runny nose. She's really craving it- she's taken to forlornly trying to spin in her litter pan when I put it in with new litter (we use the recycled paper pulp), and her fur looks terrible, especially her chin area from dribbling the stuff yesterday. Is there a rule of thumb on this?
Thank you all so much for your input! I appreciate the help through our first experience of Chinchilla sickness (and with all hope, the last).

Abby W.

• View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 08:45:10 PM »

Good question...I have alwasy heard no baths for eye or ear infections, or immediately before and after delivery of a kit, but nothing about avoiding baths during "a cold".

Does anyone else know anything about this?

Joyce

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 10:51:50 AM »

I'd wait to give a dust bath to any chin with a cold or respiratory issue going on.  The dust they breath in cannot help it any but only add to the problem and irritate it more.  I know they look a mess with all of the sticky medicine on their fur, and we always feel sorry for them!  But it will wear off in time, it always does.  If your chin is patient you can take a damp (not soaked)wash cloth and gently wipe the sticky areas.

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:38:12 PM »

::silly::Pregnant moms should not have a dust bath for at least one day before delivery ... 4 days is even better. 
     New moms should not take a dust bath the first 10 days after giving birth to her kits ... on day 10 mom and new kit/kits get to take a dust bath together ... daddy is also included in the dust bath, if he is going to be allowed to go back with his family.  Should a fight break out between the adults, remove the male and do not put him back until the kits are weaned, and then you have to re-introduce them as in the beginning.   Kits can not have a bath till they are 10 days old.
     Any chin with a cold or respiratory infection should not be allowed to take a dust bath ... the dust will only add to the problems.

When feeding medicine or food to a chin by way of an eye dropper or syringe, it is best to keep a warm moist cloth and a dry cloth to wipe away any food/meds that spill on the chin's fur.  Baby wipes are also good for this ... as long as they are not scented.   You do not want to put anything scented around a chin's nose or mouth, especially if it is already sick.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:40:20 PM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed
Pages: [1]   Go Up