Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That New Wheel Smell  (Read 4174 times)

Chin_Vinny

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
That New Wheel Smell
« on: January 03, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »

just got a new wheel for Christmas for the chins, a 15" aluminum wheel, and they were terrified of it, Pip was actually shaking :(. So i took some advice from the forums and threw some dust bath in the bottom of it, and sure enough, after the bath was all out, they started using it :P

Stacy

• Appreciation points: 3
    • View Profile
    • My chinchillas
Re: That New Wheel Smell
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 02:06:43 PM »

2 of mine love there wheels. Buddy dosn't use his much tho. I might try putting the dust in his and see is he will use it more.

Abby W.

• Appreciation points: 6
    • View Profile
    • Virginia Chinchillas
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:13:09 PM »

Yeah, i have found that some of mine love the wheels, and some pretty much couldn't care less.  I have a couple who take a few extremely lazy slow laps around each day, and one who gets on and runs at a feverish pace for a few seconds so that he can jump under it.  I guess he likes the way it feels running over his back and head.  When it slows down he starts the whole process over again.

jmrothermel

• Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 09:51:01 PM »

Wow, thanks for the advice, I hadn't heard of that one!  I am thinking of introducing them to a wheel soon.

Jacqui
~Jacqui~
Member of the MCBA
My name is
Lily

Adopt your own

cheetahchik28

• Appreciation points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:49:24 AM »

i don't have a chinchilla yet but i think that the reason that they seem to be afraid of it is because it is a new smell to them and it might not smell all that familiar to them.  and just out of curiosity how old are they, they might be so young that the wheel is too big for them. how big do you normaly buy thier wheel. ::shrug::
alexandra field

ThreeLilChins

• Chinchilla Whisperers
  • Appreciation points: 1
    • View Profile
    • Three Lil' Chins
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:52:12 AM »

We just buy the 15 inch wheel(chin spin) if you buy the 13 inch wheel you will most likly have to replace when your chinchilla reaches its full size. I hear the 16 inch wheel silver surfer wheel from chinchillas.com works well to.

Chin_Vinny

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 11:16:33 AM »

it was a gift from a friend for xmas, but it looks like the 15" chin spin.

random chin thoughts : slow day at work today so naturally i was watching you tube chinchillas :P. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZkseuWT2G8 I love that little sign on the top right of the cage "Warning, spoiled rotten chinchillas live here", and the music is perfect for the happy chins, i think it was called joy, i kept thinking the mosaic one had his tail shaved to look like a gerbil for a while there, but the fur was just darker towards the base hehe.

while looking for Jo Ann's backflipping chin i stumbled upon this onehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvHLbF8tNY seems quite talented.

along with that dust in the wheel trick, when i first got them and they still were a bit paranoid of me and nipped the hand a bit too hard, i tried the dust in cupped hands trick as well, it feels funny and they look cute playing with the dust.

anyone know why chinchillas seem fascinated with denim fabric? they seem to "dig" on it and roll around on it like it was dust bath.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:19:00 AM by Chin_Vinny »

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 07:28:05 AM »

My favourite thing that Cheech does is when he runs full pelt at a wall, jumps and then kicks off from the wall.  :::grins::

I don't think I can really afford to get a flying saucer wheel, especially with the postage from America. I know everyone says they are the best, but what would be the next best option, wheel-wise?  :)

Jo Ann

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 59
  • Chinchillas are a little bit of heaven on earth.
    • View Profile
    • Luv 'N Chins
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 09:32:56 AM »

::silly::
anyone know why chinchillas seem fascinated with denim fabric? they seem to "dig" on it and roll around on it like it was dust bath.

::silly::I think it has to do with the feel of the material ... they will do the same on canvas.

My favorite is the flying saucer wheel, we have 6 of them.  Have you thought about several of you going together and having them shipped in to you?  When I ordered a book from England I ordered 3 at the same time ... it saved me about $40.

The LeoBraun is suppose to be a good one ... don't know if you can get it over there or not.

Do be a little careful how many times you use the dust bath dust ... the barrings in the wheel are suppose to be sealed, but I won't chance it.

::wave::
Jo Ann
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 09:34:30 AM by Jo Ann »
There are no dumb questions ...
    Only regrets they were not asked ...

Luv 'N Chins (Kid Friendly)
www.luvnchins.com/NewPagesAndArticles.html
My Little Jamie
www.luvnchins.com/AvailableForAdoption.html

Luv 'N Chins II (NOT kid friendly - Medical)
Being re-built! Geocities closed

Jenova

• Cheech ^_^
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »

I saw a flying saucer on eBay, in fact it's still up with about 6 hours left at £67. It's not a bad price at all but I'm pretty poor at the moment.  :-[
The Leo Braun wheels look really good, but I've also heard that chins can get problems with their spines on regular wheels, or is that just if they aren't big enough?
I think I'm just paranoid that he's going to get bored. He's got his big tubes, his gnaw blocks, his parrot wooden dangly thing and his all time favourite, toilet rolls so I'm sure he isn't. I've just heard so many good stories about the saucer so it looks like I'm just going to have to save up for one.  :::grins::
Pages: [1]   Go Up