Chinchillas > Health

Chinchilla doesn't use dust bath?

<< < (2/2)

GrayRodent:
I think it's normal behavior you're describing. No two chinchillas are the same. I have a chinchilla that stands up more than the other one.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the feces being pointy, as long as it's not squishy or sticks to the cage. The opposite is they are small and scant. That usually occurs when there's a lot of hair in it from a shedding cycle. There is no need to cut back on pellets. A good pelleted diet is beneficial. Chinchillas drink most of their water at their most active times, which is usually late at night when most people are asleep. The best way to track water is pay attention to water levels.

electovoid:
I cut back on the pellets as I thought they were having too much, but they have a nice balanced amount now. Glad the poops and behaviour are normal, the feces worried me slightly as everywhere i read was very set on what was normal (round oval) and anything else was a vet visit  :(

Water levels do go down and she isn't dehydrated so I'm sure she is drinking.

Since it seems clear there is no medical issue as to why she doesnt take dust baths, anyone have any experience with a similar issue? How is best to keep her clean? Right now she doesn't enjoy the process of myself attempting to dust her, I assume she may get use to it with time but any methods/tips would be helpful .

Flint:
What type of bathing dust are you using? How often are your offering her bath? Does she have a bath to herself or does she share one? Do you leave the bath in all the time?

GrayRodent:
Try putting the dust in a large bowl. Leave it in the cage for about 10 minutes, then remove it from the cage.
Do this about twice a week. You can try to wait after sundown when chinchillas are more active.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version