Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible obstruction  (Read 1010 times)

Taznurse

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 9
    • View Profile
Possible obstruction
« on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »

We took our chin to the vet after noticing he wouldn’t eat and acted very uncomfortable ...he has had ongoing teeth problems ..this came on suddenly...they said it could be an obstruction but unfortunately wanted a$500 deposit on what she said would be over a $1000 bill with a Grimm outlook ..we don’t have that and have cried she gave him antibiotics and gas meds ...I’m doing syringe feeding and force feeding water any suggestions are appreciated ...we love this little guy greatly ....

Flint

• Appreciation points: 25
  • # of Chins: 15
    • View Profile
Re: Possible obstruction
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:29:33 AM »

You state that your chin has ongoing dental problems. Did you have x-rays done? Was there any indication of root elongation? I would surmise that this is more likely the cause of your chinchilla not being able to eat and drink. Please be very careful when stringing water as if your chin inhales any, pneumonia can rapidly develop.
Chin mum and Fluffslave.

gizmorover

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Possible obstruction
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 10:01:26 AM »

My chinchilla is not experiencing dental problems but we are having to feed him through a syringe. If you haven't already Oxbow Critical Care has a special formula to help with nutrition for our little ones. We purchased ours through our vets. It is a powder mix that is mixed with warm water. 1 tbs of food to about 2 tbs of water is the consistency I am using, therefore he is hydrating with the water that is mixed with the food.

Did your chin have wooden toys to chew on to help keep their teeth dull?
Pages: [1]   Go Up