Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gnawing on cage  (Read 1267 times)

GammaRat

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
gnawing on cage
« on: July 01, 2016, 03:14:58 PM »

So, I have three chins at the moment. I have them for about half a year now and in that time I moved them into a better cage.
But ever since they're in their new cage, they gnaw on the cage at night. This makes a lot of noise. I looked it up on the internet, but didn't really find an answer.
I've put more chewing toys in the cage and I let them out longer to play, but no results. So I was wondering if any of you guys might be able to help me?  Thank you  :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: gnawing on cage
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 06:58:36 PM »

How long have they had their new cage? Are there new shelves in it?
I think you'll find they'll get quieter as they get used to their cage. Also chinchillas love to break the corners off of new shelves which could be happening.

If your cage has plastic parts and plastic shelves and they are chewing on plastic they need to be moved into an all-metal cage. Chinchillas love to chew plastic, escape from cages that have plastic floors, and can die of complications from eating plastic.

Of course chinchillas are active mostly after sundown and that is a good time to turn the lights on and observe them and see exactly what they are doing. I suspect they are exploring the new limits of their cage. There is also some novelty of chewing on bars for some reason. Mine have removed the powder coat in a couple of spots.

Also if you have an exercise wheel or two that can help. I have one for each of my two and it has cut down on a lot of noise. Make sure the shelving is secure. Adding a couple more shelves and securing them well to the bars can help with bar rattle depending on the cage. Also I wear ear plugs at night because no sound proofing, toys, wheels, etc. in the world will stop chinchillas from making nighttime noise. My Spot will even squeal and scream at weird hours just for the heck of it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

GammaRat

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 04:13:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply, but do you know a specific model for a cage. I can only find cages with plastic.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »

I wish I could help you. Perhaps you can find an all metal rabbit cage. Are there any chinchilla breeders in your area? They may have a lead for you. Most of my contacts are in the US and UK.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

SydChilla

• Chinchillas.org
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 50
  • # of Chins: 75
  • SydChilla Chinchillas
    • View Profile
    • SydChilla Chinchillas
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 06:11:24 PM »

ftp://Most cages can be modified with wood shelves or fleece covers for the plastic ones. A trip to the hardware store will solve your plastic issues. A plain pine board can be attached i side your cage with hanger bolts, wing nuts, and washers. I also have pre-drilled boards and attached them inside the cage with washers and pan screws. If you sew, or know someone who does, fleece fabric covers are easy to make and really decorate a cage. ;) An added bonus of fleece covers is a more quiet cage. Your chins might decide they love chewing the wood shelves, which is good for teeth but no so much for sleeping  ::)
 Sites with chin cages or links for Belgium:
http://www.savic.be/chichi-2 
http://www.petsglobal.comhttp://www.flamingo.be/CatalogusList.asp?ParamLang=UK&Cat1=Fla186UID36710ID25704XML263340Code37003680&Cat2=Fla186UID38120ID268812XML9078300Rang28818720&Cat3=Flam186UID50508ID2394036XML24383700Prod29092608&Page=1
https://www.tomandco.be/nl-BE/Knaagdier/Products-and-Services

There are no stupid questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up