Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: fur on my chin  (Read 1244 times)

basil92

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
fur on my chin
« on: March 04, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »

so i noticed tonight when Basil was running around she had these patches of fur on her side and on her front right leg that almost looked wet, bu they aren't its kinda like when you get ice cream in your hair and it hardens and dries, its hard to explain she is 4 months old and my first chin so im not sure if this is normal or if i should wipe it off then blow dry her? any suggestions would be great thanks alot!
-Marissa :)

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: fur on my chin
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 07:09:17 AM »

Usually when I see reports of this it is because the chinchilla presses up against its watering valve and gets wet.

Make sure she is not drooling though but drooling typically shows up under the chin and along the back and she'll be damp and wet around mouth. If it's just a couple of spots on one side and one leg just check the waterer and make sure it's not leaking and is properly dispensing. That's the most likely scenario.

I recommend giving a dust bath. Your pet should be able to groom it out. If it's not improved by tomorrow you can try to comb it out. You'll need something with really fine teeth like a delousing comb and very slowly and carefully tease it out. I seriously doubt you'll need to do that though.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

basil92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 09:04:36 AM »

thanks so much!! my mom looked some stuff up too and it said the same thing that it might be her water bottle and to give her dust bath! :)

Kreed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »

Is your water bottle low? I'm new to chinchillas as well, but if it's leaning on it perhaps you can raise it up some. I would wonder why it leans on it though.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 07:56:19 PM »

My chinchillas do that sometimes but it's rare. I like to keep the spigot about three inches from the floor. It's not too high that they have to stretch for it and it's not so low that they don't have to stretch for it. The logic of this is to prevent them from making it too easy so they're not playing with it.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

basil92

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »

okay thanks!! i moved it and her fur looks so much better i let her dust bath and now its completely gone!
Pages: [1]   Go Up