Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chinchilla build a habit to jump out of my hands into the cage?  (Read 1279 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile

Its been awhile since ive been on here but one of my chins (chonchi) the chinchilla that loves to nip and get into trouble A LOT! Has developed a habit of jumping off of me or out of my hands into the cage. I have had some scares but thank god from the times he does this he has never been hurt or jumped into anything to hurt himself. But this habit was an out of nowhere thing. I had to put him away since there playtime was over and for the 3rd time allowed me to pick him up without him jumping and running off. So after i picked him up i held him all the way to the cage and a couple seconds after opening it he suddenly had this jolt from his tail all the way to the front of him and run and jump he goes! Into the cage! And i got scared thinking something scared him but no the only noises going on in my room was the A/C and my brother vacuuming the room next door. (The chins are use to the vacuum already so there not  scared of it) the bond between him and i is no different everything has been the same since but its these out of nowhere times he Jolts off of me into the cage and theres been a couple times where he slipped off my shoulder or my hands and i had to catch him out of being frightened he would hit his head and break out having seizures or he would break a leg or hand. Thank god none of that has happened but i just want to know why he does this and if anyone else has a chin that does this. Lol ita pretty frightening

BLS Chins

• Global Moderator
  • Appreciation points: 103
  • # of Chins: 35ish
    • View Profile
    • BLS Chins
Re: Chinchilla build a habit to jump out of my hands into the cage?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »

That's normal chin behavior. They don't hold still for long and are quite sporadic. You should firmly hold the base of his tail and support his feet whenever you are holding him, to prevent him falling and hurting himself. As far as jumping on your hands and arms in the cage, that's a great compliment. Your chin is very comfortable with you
BLS Chins
Hobby breeder and rescue in south central pa
specializing in ebony, tan, goldbar, standard and black velvets

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 07:26:59 AM »

I totally concur and it is dangerous for a chinchilla to do this. I know of injuries that have resulted from this. Try to release your pet at floor or shelf level. The most common injuries are to the teeth and nose when their face smashes on the floor and tooth injuries are miserable to deal with. I just hold my chinchillas against me if I feel they are going to jump. When I put them back I'll funnel them into the position I want them to be in. Holding at the base of the tail is a very useful technique.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:09:11 AM »

I totally concur and it is dangerous for a chinchilla to do this. I know of injuries that have resulted from this. Try to release your pet at floor or shelf level. The most common injuries are to the teeth and nose when their face smashes on the floor and tooth injuries are miserable to deal with. I just hold my chinchillas against me if I feel they are going to jump. When I put them back I'll funnel them into the position I want them to be in. Holding at the base of the tail is a very useful technique.

Its been awhile that i have been on had a minor illness going on but still in recovery through out the time i was off i did kind of change his habit of that. I started doing what you told me and he still gets figity but will relax and settle after a bit but now its uncommon when he does it and if he does he does it when hes closer to the cage but not in a hurry more that he wants to jump off and go to his fleece tube since thats his favorite thing
Pages: [1]   Go Up