Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Important Bedding question  (Read 2203 times)

Cereal-Killer

• Chinchilla Decompresser
  • Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: One
  • Eats Cereal, Hugs her Chinchilla
    • View Profile
Important Bedding question
« on: January 19, 2015, 01:30:04 PM »

So, I'm planning on switching bedding to fleece blankets(for easier cleaning). My cage is just a pan and a frame, but I want to make sure I can use one safely. Is there any important info I should know?
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Important Bedding question
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »

I know that several others who frequent this board are successful with fleece. What you have to watch for is damaged caused by chewing. Most chins will not chew it but if yours happens to be the rare one that does you must remove the fleece because it is known to cause bowel obstructions if ingested. And surgery to remove it really isn't a viable option.

Another thing to watch out for is exposure to urine that can cause the skin on the feet to get red and crack. It's more annoying than life-threatening, but it it's difficult to treat and can become serious if not treated so it is something that you should monitor for. I would say have a plan B ready just in case.

The hard part is to apply the fleece so your pet doesn't get access to the edges otherwise he will probably find a way to pull it into the cage and play with it. Some chins are worse than others about that. That's pretty much all I know. Perhaps someone with experience can comment.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 01:59:45 PM »

The reason to use fleece and not other materials is that it is least likely to cause bowel obstruction.  It comes apart in little bits of fuzz that are mostly harmless to ingest unless they really go crazy chewing the stuff.  Ther's no real specifics to using fleece.  Most fold a piece to make 2 layers some do sew it but you have to put the thread on the inside with special sewing to avoid them getting the thread.  I just stick a brick in each corner.  Make sure you change it before there is too much urine buildup which is about 1-2 times a week.  You can vacuum or scoop poop off between changes but most just wait and shake it off.  It is best if you can shake fleece before washing or use the strong washers at a laundromat.  It has some washer clogging potential if you don't get the bigger pieces of hay, sticks, etc... off.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 02:38:41 PM »

Yeah I agree. It's the artificial paper bedding that I would warn against using at all and I have to wonder how many chins are lost each year from those because they expand once inside. They also cause skin problems by absorbing the lanolin away from their fur.

I think fleece bedding is pretty safe. Like I said, if you see actual damage, that is when you need to back off. It's rare but if it does I recommend going back to wood chips.

Good point about the washing machine. That would be terrible to clog your home washer unless it has a cleanable filter.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:40:40 PM »

I have paper bedding since I thought it was safe to ingest. Boy was I wrong. I will be switching to fleece. there's no room to put bricks at the edges, and the day I sew is the day sherlock comes back on air. Is there a way to hold it down and the edges w/o sewing?
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 09:09:39 PM »

I've heard some people have success using bungee cords underneath. If you use bungee cords make double sure you chin can't have access to them or manage to pull them in.

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 03:54:38 PM »

Can you please elaborate on how to do bungee cords? It sounds like a cheap and easy idea!
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 04:15:04 PM »

I've never done it so I don't know exactly. I've just heard of someone using bungee cords. I'm guessing you can hook them to the cage and stretch them under the cage so you have a place to tuck the fleece into. I recommend you experiment. I imagine if you add grommets to the fleece (grommeting pliers and sets aren't too expensive) you can run the bungee under the cage to opposite sides.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2015, 04:16:43 PM »

Aspen bedding is completely chin safe as well. I used it before i moved over to fleeces.

If you switch to fleece...the fleece should be polar fleece with some type of wadding in the middle for absorption. Bamboo toweling is usually used.

Here is a website here that makes fleeces for chins...just so you have an example to look at

http://www.hammockyhammocks.co.uk/store_liners.htm

Wash them every two days if possible...and you cannot tumble dry them as it will ruin the absorption properties.

I have switched to all fleeces. I have 6 total from that website. That gives me enough to have some in the cage, some being washed and dried. Basically enough so i never end up without two for the cage

Cereal-Killer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 04:29:40 PM »

This website looks great, but sadly, it only ships in the uk, not to america. thanks for the info though ! ::silly::
Be bold, be </strong >

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2015, 11:59:33 AM »

Pretty much all fleece works.  Polar is just a brand.  People also recommend blizzard fleece but again it's just a brand.  If you go look at the colored fleece that is 100% polyester you can quickly see what material everyone is talking about and then brand does not matter.  Anti-pill is suggested so there are less fuzzies coming off your fleece.  The fleece gets destroyed slower and the chins have less things to eat.  However, nearly all fleece out there is anti-pill to the point they don't usually mark them.

You do not need a layer of something else in there.  It does trap more urine and keep it away from the surface but it is not a necessity.  There was actually a poll on another forum that found most people use 2-4 layers of fleece without another material.

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 03:00:28 AM »

You can buy fleece without the toweling or whatnot in the middle but personally i would rather have something else in the middle to absorb more of the pee
Pages: [1]   Go Up