Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feces Question, URGENT  (Read 594 times)

Cereal-Killer

• Chinchilla Decompresser
  • Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: One
  • Eats Cereal, Hugs her Chinchilla
    • View Profile
Feces Question, URGENT
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:34:35 PM »

So Pepper, my adorable chin, is bonded with me, and sits and dozes off on my lap. Ever since I stopped feeding him treats, his diarrhea has stopped, and he is comfortable around me.  ::silly:: ::silly:: yayyyy. Anyway, today I came home from school, and discovered his cage to be littered with feces, and on the bedding, a giant lump of poop(the size of like 2 grapes). When I tried to pet him, he ran, and when I held him, he seemed very uncomfortable, even though I held him how he enjoys being held,(supporting his legs, firm, but not tight, stomach towards my chest). He was very skittish as well. I'm planning a vet visit soon, but until then, is there any tips to soothe his diarrhea and overall jumpiness
Be bold, be </strong >

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Feces Question, URGENT
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:22:25 PM »

The best thing you can do at this point is remove his pelleted diet and feed straight hay for a couple of days or until your vet visit. Verify your hay is fresh and safe. Make sure his water is dispensing properly. Of course do not feed treats. Make sure to get a stool culture and check for parasites such as coccidia. My chin had this and responded well to albon and panacur.

As far as overall jumpiness that is probably just your chinchilla being its normal self. Chinchillas are naturally shy and hyperactive animals. Especially younger ones. Be gentle and try not to startle him when you're handling him.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up