Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My chinchilla is missing :(  (Read 3819 times)

dunsparth

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
My chinchilla is missing :(
« on: January 11, 2015, 06:54:15 PM »

I'm so upset everyone, yesterday i cleaned my room and moved stuff around i than moved my chin chins cage too a new spot where ive been wanting it, my dog is friendly but she was looking at the chinchilla just intrested in what it is my friend was having troubles with his car at 10 at night i went too go help him i came back and didnt hear anything from my chinchilla i got back at around 11:30 and checked the cage around 12 AM she wasen't in there i than began tearing apart my room i can't find her anywhere in here i don't see how she could have escaped the cage its left perfectly intact locked and everything nothing looks moved around, i'll be honest i think that someone stole her from me i have a sliding glass door and i dont always lock it, i had my bedroom door shut and i remember shutting the sliding glass door but dont know if it was shut all the way but i'm pretty sure it was :( i really miss her and want her back i'm so worried i dont know what to do.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: My chinchilla is missing :(
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »

I'm sorry you're going through such rough times. What kind of cage do you have? Does it have any flexible plastic parts? Are you sure the animal isn't hiding somewhere in the cage?
If the cage is totally solid and you have verified the latches are secure think carefully about who had access to your pet or had motive to remove it from the cage and call the police.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

dunsparth

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »

I'm sorry you're going through such rough times. What kind of cage do you have? Does it have any flexible plastic parts? Are you sure the animal isn't hiding somewhere in the cage?
If the cage is totally solid and you have verified the latches are secure think carefully about who had access to your pet or had motive to remove it from the cage and call the police.

Thank you for you're response and being caring and helpful for my current loss  ::cry222:::
Here are pictures of her cage, with the bottom tray and the gap she is a 3 year old chinchilla full grown i got her from my uncle hes a breeder i am absolutely devastated at what's happening, and honestly the cops won't do anything i live in los angeles the cops don't care about stuff like this here, i was being harassed online and threatened a few years back and they didn't care to do anything when my life was in danger in my opinion :/

Here is the gap in her tray

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »

If a chinchilla can get its head through, which, to me, seems likely, it can extrude the rest of its squishy self through the hole. I think it has escaped. Were any exterior doors to the house left open? If so finding your pet will be highly unlikely. If your dog is not good around animals it may have eaten it. My neighbor had this happen to his. I'm not intentionally trying to upset you but I don't want your hopes to be unreasonable.
If it were my chin I would get some help and do a systematic search closing each door to each room after it has been searched. Also turn off all fans or things that make noise and listen carefully for any noises.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

dunsparth

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 08:31:46 PM »

If a chinchilla can get its head through, which, to me, seems likely, it can extrude the rest of its squishy self through the hole. I think it has escaped. Were any exterior doors to the house left open? If so finding your pet will be highly unlikely. If your dog is not good around animals it may have eaten it. My neighbor had this happen to his. I'm not intentionally trying to upset you but I don't want your hopes to be unreasonable.
If it were my chin I would get some help and do a systematic search closing each door to each room after it has been searched. Also turn off all fans or things that make noise and listen carefully for any noises.

I found her i live in a mobile home we have floor vents that heat goes thru the bottom of the house and shes in there, its very hard to get into these vents tho.

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 08:56:19 PM »

Excellent. You should be able to see how the ducts connect beneath the trailer. You can block off the vents to that run to make sure she can't escape. Worst case is you'll have to disconnect the ducts from the outside and make darn sure she doesn't escape outside. How this will work I don't know. You may need to find someone who knows hvac or general contracting to minimize and repair the damage from that. Of course heat is very hard on chins too. If rescue is successful make sure she eats and drinks normally. Be prepared to hand feed. She will be very stressed and may bite as well. I know someone had this same thing happen a few years back and her pet was just fine. It jumped out of the vent opening. It wasn't a trailer but a house.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 08:59:37 PM by GrayRodent »

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:02 PM »

Another thing to consider is put food or water down there to lure her out. Not sure how well that would work. Extremely stressed chins often stop eating. If you can chase her from one side to run towards an open side you may have some success.

dunsparth

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 09:54:43 PM »

Another thing to consider is put food or water down there to lure her out. Not sure how well that would work. Extremely stressed chins often stop eating. If you can chase her from one side to run towards an open side you may have some success.
im on mobile now laying here next to the vent here is the setup we are working with wish us luck http://imgur.com/iqHO6G5

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:34:16 AM »

You could consider calling an animal removal service. They may have some ideas.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

We just had one escape in the basement.  She seems fine but the dryer vent needs duct tape now.  After 2 days she must have gotten hungry or thirsty and started hanging around the cages so we managed to get her in a narrow area with one person on each side.  She wasn't too hard to catch at that point. 

If she can get out of the vent easily enough there's a good chance she will come out to look for food, water, and maybe even her cage since that's been her home.  Hopefully soon.  If she's not out in a day I would call the humane society and/or animal control and see if they have someone who can get her out.  They aren't designed to go long without food so it's a major health concern.

dunsparth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:24 PM »

Thank u both for your concern i have food and hay outside the hole and a ramp for her to come up if i dont get her tonight tomorrow i will call animal control and have them help me she peaked out last night but i moved to put something over the hole and she ran back in and started barking shes very scared and im worried for her hopefully tonight,

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 03:57:49 PM »

I totally concur with Kageri. Make sure to recover her tomorrow or you will be facing some serious digestive problems that can become life-threatening to your pet. 48 hours is about as long as you can safely take it.

dunsparth

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:16:05 PM »

I dropped food down there last night so that she could itleast eat that since she didnt want to come back out

GrayRodent

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 07:09:27 PM »

That's good I hope she ate some of it. She needs about two tablespoons of pellets plus a fist sized portion of loose hay per day in order to maintain her health.
Pages: [1]   Go Up