Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fluffy just had a kit  (Read 925 times)

En.jay

• Appreciation points: 2
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Fluffy just had a kit
« on: September 11, 2014, 02:40:16 PM »

So....once again we were surprised to see a kit in the cage. We weren't sure she was pregnant. I thought they gave birth in the mornings but she just have birth to the biggest kit I've ever seen he was huge!!!! Unfortunately he wasn't alive : (.  Waiting to see if there are anymore to follow.
~*En💜Jay*~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Fluffy just had a kit
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 06:35:27 PM »

That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 05:04:44 AM »

So I'm a little confused and concerned. She only had the one kit which I did not witness.  My son noticed her acting strange and that when we saw him. I wish I had known she was pregnant 😓so I took the kit out of the cage and his whole stomach/groin area was gone. Did she eat him?? What happened? As far as I know this was her first kit ever. It's sad. Idk if something was wrong with him or what happened. He was missing a tooth as well. It's disturbing. 😓
~*En💜Jay*~

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »

I know this is a gruesome thing to say but if the kit was unusually large it might not have been able to exit the birth canal normally. In these cases the mother tears it up in order to get it out. Chances are it was dead anyway before that happened as it normally results from prolonged labor. It's uncommon for that to happen but it is a known complication of pregnancy across animal species. In chinchillas at least the problem can be taken care of by the animal so you didn't lose the dam. It is one reason why I don't recommend that anyone attempt to breed chinchillas unless they are prepared to deal with complications and advise against breeding pets because there is always that chance you'll lose some.

Usually labor and birth of chinchillas is not witnessed even when breeders know they are pregnant because it can happen at any time of day so please don't feel bad about that. It's nice you did have a successful pregnancy and there is nothing to me that indicates your chinchilla is unfit for breeding. You may want to have a vet exam done sometime before the next attempt just to be sure. You may wish to supplement her diet with calcium if you have not already.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:36:42 AM »

With no competition in the womb singletons sometimes get too big.  Like stated they can get stuck and while pulling them out the female might tear them.  It's just bad luck for the litter but good luck your female did not die from a stuck kit that wouldn't come out.  You don't always find them in time when they can't get the blockage out themselves.

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 10:53:41 AM »

Ok you guys are making me feel better thanks! She seems fine now like nothing happened. And my male was only in with her for a few hours. Lol guess it doesn't take long.  Now his cage is beside her and making all these sounds at her and she keeps putting her butt to him lol.  I took a pic of the baby (not the underside). He was twice the size of my other chins kits.  I'll see if I can upload it
~*En💜Jay*~

En.jay

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

~*En💜Jay*~
Pages: [1]   Go Up