Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back on! But Important Question  (Read 767 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Back on! But Important Question
« on: September 04, 2014, 11:13:46 PM »

Hi guys im back on! My boys are ok and doing well. They are still brats from time to time when they want something. Changing the subject my birthday is in a month and a half. And i am planning on bringing another type of pet in my responsiblitiy and home. I still havent decided from either a Pair of Ferrets or Sugar Gliders. Moving to the question, would my chins have to bond with the other pets and vice versa? I wouldnt want a conflict between each other. I am a patient person when it comes to anything especially my pet. But i do lose it when it involves there health. But please let me know as soon as possible if it would be a good idea to home them in the chinchillas room or a separte room. As long as both animals are healthy and away from conflict.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Back on! But Important Question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 06:12:46 AM »

I doubt you'll want those animals to come into contact with each other. Ferrets are predators, like cats but more unpredictable and can get through much smaller spaces which could be a recipe for disaster for your chinchillas. Sugar gliders I don't know too much about other than they are omnivorous and extremely territorial. Chinchillas are territorial as well and much larger, probably more of a danger to your sugar glider if they meet face to face. Health-wise I expect the sugar glider may carry more types of unknown pathogens because of their exotic nature. I have a friend who has a chinchilla and a sugar glider and doesn't have any problems.

It is common practice to quarantine new animals for about four weeks. Just keep them in separate rooms during that time and watch for illness. Of course you'll have to educate yourself on what to watch for and if illness does crop up make sure it's completely taken care of before sharing a room. Some chinchillas can become overly stressed with other animals in the room especially if they are noisy so be careful. If in doubt house them in separate rooms and certainly don't the ferrets loose around chins.

Note: I'm not implying the chin and the sugar glider are bonded. They just live in the same house.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 12:49:53 PM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »

They can live in the same house and even same room but they should not meet.  They will not bond.  They will ignore each other or they will fight potentially to the death.  For the most part animals do not bond with other species.  It is nice or amusing when you hear about one taking care of the other but those are the exceptions or we wouldn't find the stories so interesting.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 03:43:37 PM »

I doubt you'll want those animals to come into contact with each other. Ferrets are predators, like cats but more unpredictable and can get through much smaller spaces which could be a recipe for disaster for your chinchillas. Sugar gliders I don't know too much about other than they are omnivorous and extremely territorial. Chinchillas are territorial as well and much larger, probably more of a danger to your sugar glider if they meet face to face. Health-wise I expect the sugar glider may carry more types of unknown pathogens because of their exotic nature. I have a friend who has a chinchilla and a sugar glider and doesn't have any problems.

It is common practice to quarantine new animals for about four weeks. Just keep them in separate rooms during that time and watch for illness. Of course you'll have to educate yourself on what to watch for and if illness does crop up make sure it's completely taken care of before sharing a room. Some chinchillas can become overly stressed with other animals in the room especially if they are noisy so be careful. If in doubt house them in separate rooms and certainly don't the ferrets loose around chins.

Note: I'm not implying the chin and the sugar glider are bonded. They just live in the same house.

Thank you for replying i am considering putting the other pets i get in my back house since its pretty much one room with A/C and Heater for the weather. But hopefully the day of my birthday works out fine about there housing.

Mannybilly1030

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 03:46:37 PM »

They can live in the same house and even same room but they should not meet.  They will not bond.  They will ignore each other or they will fight potentially to the death.  For the most part animals do not bond with other species.  It is nice or amusing when you hear about one taking care of the other but those are the exceptions or we wouldn't find the stories so interesting.

Yea i do understand and i'm not willing to take any chance what so ever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up