Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nesting?  (Read 677 times)

jannugimes

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
Nesting?
« on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »

Hi guys, has anyone had any of their chins show signs of "nesting" or anything? Just wondering because I've got a blanket that's really wooly and lately whenever I've been with it on the couch pickle loves to cuddle up under it with me (sooo cute!!) But once I noticed her chewing or biting at it with her teeth!!? She didn't seem to be eating it... But just kept biting it so I panicked and stopped her as I thought she was gonna ingest the wool... But I mentioned it to a friend at work and she said maybe she's nesting like small animals like hamsters do? Could she be doin this? I just noticed while she was on the couch with me a second ago that she was doin it with a fluffy cushion I have.. So I took it away as I was scared again she was going to ingest it.. And then she started doing it on the couch cover (I have like a throw on the couch as it's a horrible looking couch!) and that's not even fluffy! So it's not just fluffy things!
Do u think I should stop her in case she ingests some fibres? Or shall I leave her? Maybe I should have something in her cage she can make a best with? She has a nesting ball but it doesn't have anything in it!
Just thought I'd ask!! She might be the odd one out! She is a bit weird! But I wouldn't have her any other way!!

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
Re: Nesting?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 11:39:08 AM »

Chins don't make nests.  What they do like to do is chew up everything in their reach.  Some are worse than others.  Some do like to be under blankets.  Not only do they get under my blankets when out but some have found the fleece liners in their cage are nice to crawl under.  Occasionally they do try to chew on my blankets which I discourage by removing them from under it.  Their fleece is safe to chew on if they wanted since it doesn't come apart in strings or big enough pieces to cause problems.  I haven't seen any sign of chewing the liners though.  Sometimes they also like to pull the fleece in to the house and sleep on it.  I have to put bricks in the corners of some cages to stop them.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Nesting?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

My recommendation is that if you see damage on the cloth that the risk of ingesting fibers is high and if enough are ingested you risk a bezoar which can be fatal.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up