Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chin proofing an area  (Read 966 times)

Chins4Life089

• Appreciation points: 1
  • # of Chins: 2
  • hi
    • View Profile
Chin proofing an area
« on: March 25, 2014, 04:25:10 PM »

As I have said in previous post i will be getting a chinchilla in the oncoming months and need to chin proof my room. But I have a problem, my computer has a ton of cables and is hard to chin proof just need some ideas on how to chin proof it and stuff. Pic below

http://s15.postimg.org/fgg23mdpn/20140325_175527_1.jpg

http://s23.postimg.org/d8br0qbln/20140325_175510_1.jpg

Pic to big to be put up. thanks for the help
Never argue with idiots. They will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Chin proofing an area
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:05:29 PM »

Awesome. There really is no chin-proofing that unless you really like working with steel conduit.
The biggest danger always is the electrical cords from wall outlets. USB cords only carry 5VDC. Other than that look for any holes or places your pet can climb into and disappear.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:58 PM »

Temporarily we consolidated all the wires and wrapped them together in blankets so only the odd cord with low power is accessible.  Longer term I'm thinking of lots of duct tape possibly with something else wrapped under or over it.  They do sell cord protectors but it would be a pain and probably expensive to cover every cord we have in here.  There's 3 fully used power strips.  A slight thing that helped is that our power strips are not on the floor anymore.  1 cord from the power strip goes up 3' or more and the cords plug in to that.  Limiting what's down low a bit so it's easier to wrap everything up.  We also traded out most of our solid furniture for custom made oak computer stands that are completely open sides, front, and back making reaching the cords and putting things around them easy as well as very easy to get a chin out of the computer stands.

Mostly they run around the bathroom and especially Aime and katsu who will taste test anything.  Aika really couldn't care less about cords.  She wanders the room, harasses the dog, nibbles a box, and puts herself back in her cage.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 10:34:13 AM »

Lazy man's (temporary?) solution:

Buy a large piece of plywood, and plunk it flush against the wall. Run all your wires behind the plywood.

Pic shows suggested plywood location:

http://prntscr.com/35i31n

littletancred

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:47:02 PM »

Chin-proofing in a different direction: my issue is not the wires, but the wooden/cloth furniture (for example, desk legs, couch skirt, etc.).  Is there anyone here who has had successful experience discouraging the chin from ruining the furniture and tracking urination patterns?  I'm happy to let my little guy run wherever he likes, but these liabilities pose a problem for me. 

Any advice would be deeply appreciated!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 04:31:07 PM »

I don't think there's a way to do that. Chinchillas love to chew on things. The only thing you can do is entice them with something they want to chew on more than that. The only success I've had is to prevent my pet from chewing on my clothes by consistently pulling him away and restraining him. I suppose that can be applied to a larger area but only with extreme measures. I think it is extremely unwise to let a chinchilla loose in a place that isn't completely safe.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up