Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Room Temperature and Humidity Level  (Read 1373 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Room Temperature and Humidity Level
« on: April 01, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »

I have my room temp and humidity under control i think. The humidity is at 48% and the temperature is 68F

This good temp and humidity?

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
Re: Room Temperature and Humidity Level
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:19 PM »

You basically need to keep a close eye on your chins. Check their ears, their behaviour, and such, as I've heard of the temperature and humidity being within "safe" limits, then the chins got too excited/stressed, ran around too much, and collapsed.

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 01:15:42 AM »

At 68F they should be perfectly fine.  I've found if they are adjusted slowly they can act completely normal and active in 75F (haven't tested humidity) and can handle 80F with some reduced activity (not out of cage time, remove wheels, block off levels if possible) and some cooling help like chiller tiles and ice bottles.  We have high humidity here and we kept our condo 72F all last summer until our ac died near the end of fall when temps drop.  That's when we had several 75F and a couple 80F days.  Just called someone to fix that because it hit 60F and with the multiple computers, ps3 or xbox 360 running on the tv which is running, and multiple people and animals it easily surpasses 10F warmer than outside.  Of course now it's back down below freezing and we can just open the window but by next week it will probably start becoming an issue.  Over winter due to the cold wind of subzero temps chilling the corner bedroom we occasionally raised the thermostat in the living room where most chins are up to 74F with no noticeable difference.  Here in winter with heat on the air is very dry.  Iowa reaches the extreme in temp or humidity of about every US state at some point during the year.  There is no such thing as mild weather.  If you don't have frostburn you have heat stroke.

Jasonred79

• Appreciation points: 24
  • # of Chins: 1
  • human belonging to Popsicle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 01:27:35 AM »

At 68F they should be perfectly fine.  I've found if they are adjusted slowly they can act completely normal and active in 75F (haven't tested humidity) and can handle 80F with some reduced activity (not out of cage time, remove wheels, block off levels if possible) and some cooling help like chiller tiles and ice bottles.  We have high humidity here and we kept our condo 72F all last summer until our ac died near the end of fall when temps drop.  That's when we had several 75F and a couple 80F days.  Just called someone to fix that because it hit 60F and with the multiple computers, ps3 or xbox 360 running on the tv which is running, and multiple people and animals it easily surpasses 10F warmer than outside.  Of course now it's back down below freezing and we can just open the window but by next week it will probably start becoming an issue.  Over winter due to the cold wind of subzero temps chilling the corner bedroom we occasionally raised the thermostat in the living room where most chins are up to 74F with no noticeable difference.  Here in winter with heat on the air is very dry.  Iowa reaches the extreme in temp or humidity of about every US state at some point during the year.  There is no such thing as mild weather.  If you don't have frostburn you have heat stroke.

That's not so bad. Just checked the thermometer in the room next to mine, it says 30C, which is 86F. Humidity is only 59% though. hmm.

According to google, it's freaking 33C/91F outside the house today. BLARGH.

https://www.google.com.my/search?q=malaysia+humidity&oq=malaysia+humidity&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2852j0j8&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »

They can probably adjust to survive under low stress conditions at over 80F but there would be a great risk that something could go wrong.  Their activity level will likely suffer or easily lead to over heating.  I'd be really concerned about pregnant chins and possibly even the younger kits.  Not really suggested to go over 75 regularly and definitely not over 80.  Of course if you believe many of the forum extremists anything over 70 is bad but I find those living well below 70 (some down to 60) to be a bit excessive and over cautious.  Unless of course you like wearing layers of clothes indoors year round.  You can make yourself sick going in and out of that low of AC in summer. 

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 06:24:33 PM »

Thank you during the night the humidity rose to 60 and its stable during the day at 46 or 47

And the highest the temperature went was 70 and its stable at 68. At night it dropped at 63.

This is still good correct?

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 07:01:15 PM »

As long as those temperatures are at the cage, yes. Humidity is fine.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up