Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Cage  (Read 864 times)

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
Good Cage
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »

Would you suggest a three level cage or something like the critter nation or ferret nation cage?
Or just any type of cage in general. Im looking for a good cage that can be affordable but still big in cage size.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Good Cage
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 07:02:04 AM »

Many chinchilla owners are happy with a modified Ferret Nation cage. The modification is a metal pan that's made for chinchillas that you'll have to order that's made for the FN cage since the stock cage's plastic pan can be chewed through allowing your pet to escape (and plastic can cause bowel obstructions) and also not deep enough so it's messy.
I use a heavily modified parrot cage. It is all one level but it's about 5' tall. The floor had to be replaced because the original floor was not safe. You can see more about my project here. Note that I totally went overboard on this build and it is not a typical cage. http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4091.0.html

Martin's cages makes a decent cage as well although it may come with wire shelves and ramps. Do not use wire shelving or ramps with chinchillas because they get their feet broken on them. I hear about that all the time and it can be fatal. Always use solid shelves. Ramps are unnecessary since chins like to jump.

Guidelines:
The bar spacing on the floor must be a maximum if 1/2" x 1/2" grid.
The bar spacing on the walls should be a maximum of 1" x 1/2".
For newborns and pregnant chinchillas there are additional requirements.
It is very important that the floor and wall joints of the cage be tight. They can get their toes caught in small spaces.

(Edited - apparently FN cages cannot be chewed through but I am familiar with cages that can, and have been. Thanks kageri for the correction)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:38:15 AM by GrayRodent »
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

Mannybilly1030

• Appreciation points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »

Many chinchilla owners are happy with a modified Ferret Nation cage. The modification is a metal pan that's made for chinchillas that you'll have to order that's made for the FN cage since the stock cage's plastic pan can be chewed through allowing your pet to escape (and plastic can cause bowel obstructions) and also not deep enough so it's messy.
I use a heavily modified parrot cage. It is all one level but it's about 5' tall. The floor had to be replaced because the original floor was not safe. You can see more about my project here. Note that I totally went overboard on this build and it is not a typical cage. http://www.chinchillaclub.com/forum/index.php/topic,4091.0.html

Martin's cages makes a decent cage as well although it may come with wire shelves and ramps. Do not use wire shelving or ramps with chinchillas because they get their feet broken on them. I hear about that all the time and it can be fatal. Always use solid shelves. Ramps are unnecessary since chins like to jump.

Guidelines:
The bar spacing on the floor must be a maximum if 1/2" x 1/2" grid.
The bar spacing on the walls should be a maximum of 1" x 1/2".
For newborns and pregnant chinchillas there are additional requirements.
It is very important that the floor and wall joints of the cage be tight. They can get their toes caught in small spaces.

thank you so much now I need to find a person who makes good chinchilla ledges and fleece covers my aunt just brought in 4 chinchillas and the breeder she got them from gave her fleece covers and a variety of ledges along with the chinchillas. she drove from California to Oregon but im not going to do that lol but yes please let me know if you know of any people who make them thank you so much

kageri

• Appreciation points: 44
  • # of Chins: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:01 AM »

Even if they chew through the pan your chin can't escape.  There's a wire floor supporting it.  Sometimes when we are moving chins around and short on the correct type of pan we use a cutout pan without a cutout floor or the floor hole blocked by one of the ramps that come with the cage.  Also got a breeding pair of ebonies in who had been on those plastic pans with no cover and they chewed a palm sized hole through it.  Not saying it's safe to let them chew but they are not going to escape.  You can just wrap a yard of fleece around the pan.  We have been doing that with several pans until we can replace them.  1 yard is perfect for a critter or ferret nation so when we go to joann's we ask them to cut 1 yard chunks off the bolt.  You can fully wrap the pan and have a single layer of fleece or fold the fleece in half so there are 2 layers and just tuck the corners.  I've seen it done with those plastic shelf pans too.  If nothing else it makes do until you can get metal and wood items.

We also have a modified parrot cage we use as a backup.  It's 25x30x48"h.  Due to the relatively small doors and no sides to hold poop in I prefer to keep it as an emergency cage when a pairing fails or kits need weaned early and I have to throw someone somewhere for a week or 2.

Quality cage company is highly suggested by breeders due to the bar spacing, light weight, and ease of setup.  They make all sorts of sizes of cages.  I spent hours on their site looking through all the designs and they'll do custom cages.  I was told the cages just pop up and lock in to place when you get them.  They are just as pricy as a FN though with thinner bars, wire floors unless otherwise requested which some people don't like, and more vertical but less cubic feet per price.
Pages: [1]   Go Up