Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is dried dandelion good for them (not the drops)  (Read 909 times)

chinmediahd

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Is dried dandelion good for them (not the drops)
« on: November 28, 2013, 07:55:26 PM »

I have seen changes to my Chinchilla Cherio. from the first time of giving them to her. She cant leave the bowl. Not just that but noticed her poo is black and i have heard that's a good sign. if that's true then what other food can they eat that are in the local pet store to make them allot more healthier?

I have four Chinchillas: Polo, Cherio, Misty and Ebony.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Is dried dandelion good for them (not the drops)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

What does that mean "can't leave the bowl?" Are you saying she is constantly eating? What is her current diet? Chinchillas should eat many times during the day to stay healthy. I've observed with mine about every two to three hours. An average sized healthy chinchilla will consume about two tablespoons of pellets and a small handful of hay in a days time.

I recommend pelleted diet that is alfalfa based while feeding them fresh loose timothy hay, keeping both in constant supply each day. Food mixed with seeds or treats is an inappropriate diet that will cause health problems over time that can be quite serious.
Also things like dandelions should be treats that are on occasion, no more than the equivalent mass of two raisins per day. Chinchillas do not need anything other than hay and pellets to stay healthy and will be healthier on a restricted diet.

As far as I know chinchilla feces are supposed to come out black and mostly dry. If they are green, sticky, or stain the shelves that is a sign food is not being digested and can indicate stress, parasitic infection, or an improper diet.
I've observed this myself.

You say you want them to be much healthier. What makes you think they are in poor health?
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

chinmediahd

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 4
    • View Profile
Re: Is dried dandelion good for them (not the drops)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:41 PM »

What does that mean "can't leave the bowl?"
I don't mean literally can't leave the bowl. Just a figure of speech saying she loves the dandelions a lot and i give her a reasonable amount and they do have hey.
Pages: [1]   Go Up