Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: switching food.  (Read 697 times)

mb30

• Appreciation points: 36
    • View Profile
switching food.
« on: November 03, 2013, 07:23:04 AM »

So, now that my two girls are settled in it is time i change their food and get them on some top quality
pellets. As i live in the UK you may not be familiar with the brands but i would like some input on the situation.
Basically, as far as i know, my chins have been on this pets at home brand chin pellets their whole lives.
It isn't a bad food but it isn't the best either. 4 days ago i started the switch to beaphar chinchilla care plus.
This is regarded as the top quality food over here. I was going to switch gradually over a month but have run into a problem.
The chins absolutely love the new food and have stopped eating the old food. This morning i woke to a bowl of food
that had the little amount of new pellets consumed and the old pellets untouched. In fact, some of the old pellets were
thrown around the cage and peed on haha.

In this situation do i do a complete change after only 4 days and keep an eye on them and hope for the best?
Should i just gradually increase the amount of new pellets and hope there is no stress to their digestive systems?

I have asked another board as well and the lady said to make the switch quicker than a month.
I was going to cut it to two weeks but it looks like i may have to even reduce that time frame.

Thoughts? Thanks!

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: switching food.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 12:30:40 PM »

I've switched over one week a couple of times without having any problems but I do feel that two weeks is better. In your case there's not much you can do about it though. I think restricting their pellets would be more stress than just letting them have the new diet. With that being said give it another day or two with mixing the diet. You might find that they may be less likely to throw out all the old pellets now that it's not something so new to them.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up