Chinchillas.org

Chinchilla Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tail infection, may need to be amputated - Advice please  (Read 1190 times)

DeniseL

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
Tail infection, may need to be amputated - Advice please
« on: October 23, 2013, 08:24:31 AM »

Hi All,
Has anyone had to have the tip of their chin's tail amputated due to infection? My chin Cooper may need to have his tail amputated, tip of the tail looks dead and scaby and the vet has put him on a course of baytril and given me a plastic collar that only made Cooper stress out quite badly...

It all started after his cage mate started to groom and bite his tail after Cooper came back from his usual teeth file at the vets...we seperated them and wound healed, put them back together the same thing happened so seperated them again, but this time Cooper chewed at his own tail and made it bleed. To discourage him from doing it and i have not seen him do it since we have been using flowers of sulphate powder on his tail.

I have to phone the vets in a couple of days to let him know how Cooper is and arrange another appointment....I would appreciate any help and advice on caring and after care in the need of an amputation???? Also any ideas on what else i can do instead of using a plastic collar, i am frightened that he will not be able to eat and drink and stressing him out will only make matters worse.....Thanks

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
  • # of Chins: 2
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
Re: Tail infection, may need to be amputated - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »

Just watch his food and water consumption as best as possible. Antibiotics can sometimes cause chinchillas to stop eating. If that happens you will need to syringe feed a recovery diet within 24 hours of that happening to prevent serious and potentially deadly digestive complications. I do know of a few chinchillas on this board that have had partial and complete tail amputations (sometimes unintentional amputations) and do just fine. If you think there is an infection or if it is spreading call your vet and get advice. You may need to make an earlier appointment if that is the case.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.

mojito

• Appreciation points: 10
  • chinchillin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »

I've heard of tail amputations too. If they think it's spreading its always better safe than sorry!! He will still live a normal life without it. While he's on antibiotics please consider giving him unsweetened and unflavored regular (not Greek) yogurt to, like GR said, help with digestive problems that antibiotics can cause. If he doesn't want to eat consider getting critical care, or there are sites that help with how to get chins to eat (I will find it and post it on here ASAP)

DeniseL

• Appreciation points: 0
  • # of Chins: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 06:23:55 AM »

Many thanks for reply....so far 7 days on antibiotics and he is still eating well, weight is good. We are back to the vets for a look at his tail again on Thursday.

GrayRodent

• Chinchilla Club and CBO Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Appreciation points: 153
    • View Profile
    • Chris Hamilton
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 07:17:11 AM »

I'm glad to hear that. I hope he can keep his tail.
I'm a programmer not a chinchilla breeder. I learn by asking questions just like you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up